Faculty Spotlight

Faculty spotlight

Dr. Pilcher PhotoJune Pilcher

Where are you from?  Born in Mississippi, but raised in Louisiana

How long have you been teaching at Clemson?  16 years

What classes do you teach at Clemson?  I work in the Department of Psychology, so I teach Physiological Psychology, Health Psychology and a lot of brain and behavior type courses. Within the Honors College, I have taught a few Honors Seminars, including Zen in the Martial Arts and Positively Human.

What brought you to Clemson?   I originally was teaching at Bradley University in Illinois. When I saw the job opportunity at Clemson, I decided to apply. I was very excited to come back to the South.

Where did you attend college?   For my undergraduate degree, I attended the University of Southern Mississippi, which is near New Orleans. For my graduate work, I attended the University of Chicago where I completed a Ph.D. in Biopsychology.

What’s your favorite thing about Clemson and the Honors College?   I really enjoy being able to teach the Honors Seminars and work with the Honors students. I love watching my research teams learn and grow, since the students are involved for multiple semesters. We research a lot of health and wellness topics. Specifically, we have recently been researching topics related to sleep. It is exciting to watch the students get ready for their next big step, whether it is their first job or graduate school.

What’s your favorite Clemson memory?   My favorite Clemson memory would have to be when I was invited to sit in the President’s box for a Clemson Football game. I was able to bring one guest, so I invited an honors student that I taught a while ago. The student is now a medical doctor in the area. I really enjoyed the game because I was able to reconnect with the student and see how much he has grown since he was a student at Clemson. It was also really nice talking to the others in the President’s box that day.

Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why?   Finland – because I was greatly impressed with the country, the people, the way they work and the way they interact. As a receiver of the Fulbright Specialist Award, I was in Finland for about a month. I’ve always liked the Scandinavian countries, especially with the way they handle education.

How do you define success?  Success is often what we make it. Success can be reaching your goal, but it is also about taking it in steps. For example, graduating from Clemson is a successful step that can lead you to achieving a greater goal, such as getting a PhD. I think it is a mistake to define success with one thing and not see the path along the way.

If you could give students one piece of advice, what would it be?   Aim to fail. It is important to know how to accept failure because we all fail at some point. The important thing is that we learn from our failures and improve from them. Sometimes you have to aim for a goal that you may not think you can get.