Student Spotlight

student spotlight -2

Kristen Wong photo

Kristen Wong

Where are you from?  Knoxville, Tennessee

What year are you? Senior

What’s your major / minor?  Major – Genetics

Double Minor – Psychology and Microbiology

What 3 traits define you?  Smiley, Compassionate, Organized

How did you choose Clemson?  I was initially very interested in Clemson because they offer a Genetics major, which is not common. When I visited Clemson, I completely fell in love with the atmosphere and I could tell that the Faculty at Clemson really care about the students. They do everything they can to help you.

What other activities / clubs are you involved in on campus and in the Honors College? 

Within the Honors College, most recently, I have become a Wellness Ambassador. I was also a mentee for Seniors Advising Sophomores in Honors (SASH). I am involved in two Honors Societies: Phi Kappa Delta and Alpha Lambda Delta. I have also been involved in Undergraduate Research for about a year and a half. Specifically, I have been researching topics related to aging. In addition, I am involved in Clemson Wesley, the United Methodist Campus Ministry. After my freshman year, I studied abroad with the Honors European Crossroads Program. During the program, I learned a lot about the Belgian culture and European history. It was definitely one of my favorite moments with the Honors College, because it pushed me outside my comfort zone and allowed me to meet the most amazing people!

What’s your favorite thing about Clemson and the Honors College?   My favorite thing about Clemson would have to be the atmosphere and the Clemson Family. Although Clemson has a big campus, it has always felt small to me because I see familiar faces all of the time. I love being in the Honors College because I feel like I am a part of a smaller community that really understands me and has similar goals to me.

Where is your favorite study spot at Clemson?  First Floor of the Library. I’m all about the cave!

What would you say is your greatest accomplishment that you are most proud of at Clemson so far?   My greatest accomplishment at Clemson would have to be becoming a Wellness Ambassador. At first, I was unsure if I wanted to do it, but I took a risk and was able to successfully go through the interview process. I realized that the position really fit what I needed and I love working with my Wellness Ambassadors team. Since the Wellness Ambassadors Program is brand new, it has been really cool to be a part of creating the program and watching it grow.

What’s your favorite Clemson memory?   My favorite Clemson memory is the Clemson vs. Notre Dame football game. This is the game when there was a hurricane coming through Clemson and the rain was continuously pouring down the entire day. I had to switch my rain coat three times! But it was totally worth it to be able to cheer on the Tigers and watch them win an amazing game.

What’s one thing you couldn’t live without?   Coffee!

In one sentence, say something really weird or interesting about you.  When I’m stressed, my go-to stress relief is a 30-second dance party, inspired by Grey’s Anatomy.

Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why?    Eleuthera Bahamas – because it is the most beautiful place I have ever been to.  I was there on a mission trip and it was really great to interact with the people because they have such a different outlook on life. They live a much more relaxed lifestyle.

What drove you to become a Wellness Ambassador?   I became a Wellness Ambassador because I really felt that there was a need for the program on campus and I really wanted to get involved in creating the program. I also wanted some experience with counseling because in the future, I want to go into Genetic counseling.

What are your best wellness tips for students?  

• Get some sleep!
  • Make sure to take a break from studying – see your friends, take a hike, go for a walk – even if it’s for only 15-20 minutes.
  • Don’t be afraid to ask for help – people see it as a sign of weakness but it’s important to reach out if you need to.

What’s your favorite part about being a Wellness Ambassador?   My favorite part about being a Wellness Ambassador is getting to interact with the Honors students and working with my fellow wellness ambassadors. It has been great to see all of our ideas come together and as the program is growing, it has been really fun to finally get to sit down and meet with some of the students participating in the events.

Save