Senior Ryan Day

November 28, 2016

Ryan DayName: Ryan Day
Hometown: Saint Helena Island, SC
Expected Graduation Year: May 2017
Major(s): Financial Management
Emphasis: Financial Services
Minor(s): Accounting

Why did you choose Finance as a major?

I was initially exposed to the stock market during my first semester at Clemson and was immediately intrigued. I started as a Biology major, and really didn’t enjoy anything about it. Having always had an entrepreneurial spirit, it made sense to go ahead and make the switch.

What career field/job would you like to pursue after graduating?

I’ve accepted an offer to become a Financial Institution Specialist with the FDIC, in their Columbia, SC office. I have a very “by-the-book” type personality, so regulating is right up my alley.

What has been your favorite/most memorable moment at Clemson?

Easy – the Clemson v. Notre Dame game last year.

Any recent accomplishments?

I was asked to be an Officer of the Wall Street South Investment Club; Inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma last spring; and achieving a 4.0 GPA

Do you have a great internship experience you’d like to share?

During my internship with the FDIC this past summer, we spent the majority of our time reviewing loan files in banks. The amount of real estate terminology was very overwhelming for students from the majority of other schools, but I was again reminded of the value of a Clemson education. I definitely had a leg-up in that regard.

What do you think prepared you the most?

Dr. Tom Springer’s  Principles of Real Estate class (FIN 3070). That has been the most challenging course I’ve taken since being at Clemson, as he demands a lot from his students. As a result, however, it’s been one of the most rewarding classes as well.

Any words of advice to other students?

Be an open book. Ask as many questions as possible of anyone with more experience than you. Listen more than you speak, and always remember to give a firm handshake.