Senior A.J. Speranza

September 11, 2017

Name: A.J. SperanzaAJ_Speranza
Expected Graduation Year: May 2018
Major(s): Financial Management
Emphasis: Corporate Finance
Minor(s): Accounting
Hometown: Tampa, FL

Why did you choose Finance as a major?

The balance between analytical problem solving and day-to-day client facing interactions seemed like a perfect fit for me. Growing up my dad instilled in me the importance of personal finance and saving for the future. The idea that I could major in a degree that would allow me to learn about the financial markets and be confident in investing always intrigued me.

What career field/job would you like to pursue after graduating?

After completing my internship with SunTrust I was offered a full-time position as a Wholesale Development Analyst in Atlanta upon my graduation. I have accepted and will be starting full time next July.

What has been your favorite/most memorable moment at Clemson?

My favorite moment on Clemson’s campus would have to be the (very wet) Notre Dame game my sophomore year. Waking up at 6:00am to get a place in the crowd of College Gameday, tailgating in the torrential down pour all day long, and cheering on the Tigers to an amazing victory over the Irish will always stand out in my mind.

Any recent accomplishments?

Spring 2017 President of Delta Sigma Pi, Kappa Tau chapter

Senior Finance Representative on the College of Business Student Advisory Board

I am actively involved with my church here in Clemson, St. Andrew’s

Do you have a great internship experience you’d like to share?

While at Clemson I held two internships. During the summer between my sophomore and junior year I interned with Merrill Lynch in Sarasota, FL as a financial advisor intern and during the summer between my junior and senior year I interned at SunTrust in Atlanta, GA as a Wholesale Development Program Summer Analyst.

What do you think prepared you the most?

Taking advantage of the amazing resources offered by our University. Clemson is filled with top notch professors who have great experience in their field of study and industry.

Also, not many other schools allow finance majors to take as many accounting classes as the College of Business offers to us. This sets Clemson students apart from other finance students across the U.S. when applying for internships.

Any words of advice to other students?

Study hard, get involved, hold leadership positions, always make time for fun, and be proud to be a Tiger.