Senior Miller Hoffman

August 31, 2018

Name: Miller HoffmanPhoto of Miller Hoffman
Expected Graduation Year: 2019
Major(s): Financial Management
Emphasis: Financial Planning
Minor(s): Accounting
Hometown: Rock Hill, SC

Why did you choose Finance as a major?

The financial industry has always interested me in the way that individuals, families, and businesses all require sound financial management in order to be successful. Finding ways to allow your money to work for you is critical during your lifetime. I decided to study finance, specifically the planning/advising aspect, more in-depth in college because so many people seem to struggle with proper management of their personal money. I wanted to prepare myself to the best of my ability to assist others in the creation of a plan so they can meet their unique financial goals.

What career field/job would you like to pursue after graduating?

I plan to join a wealth management team with Wells Fargo Advisors in Raleigh, NC. This team specifically creates portfolios and plans depending on the client according to their goals and risk tolerance. I am super excited to be able to learn from seasoned professionals so that I can help others in the future while being able to work for a top firm in the US.

What has been your favorite/most memorable moment at Clemson?

I have been so grateful to be able to serve Clemson students as their 2018-2019 Student Body Treasurer. I enjoy interacting with students that are passionate about their organizations and interests. I firmly believe the Clemson Experience comes to life through the experiences and the relationships that are built outside the classroom (working hard inside the classroom is also important!!).

Any recent accomplishments?

During my internship with the FDIC this summer, I was fortunate enough to earn the STAR Award. The STAR Award is given to employees that played a critical role in a bank examination. I was one of about 50 interns to receive the award through my experiences over the summer.

Do you have a great internship experience you’d like to share?

Also during my time with the FDIC, I was able to have lunch with Martin Gruenberg, the 20th  Chairman of the FDIC. I was able to ask him about his experiences as an influential part of the stabilization of the US financial system and where he sees the future taking us. It was such a great experience and one I’ll never forget.

What do you think prepared you the most?

As much as I’ve learned inside the classroom, I credit my experiences outside the classroom as the key to my collegiate career and my main source of preparation. The relationships I’ve made with friends and professors have enhanced my love for Clemson and for a future in the real world.

Any words of advice to other students?

Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and take a chance! College is a rewarding time, but is also challenging in many respects. Get involved early on. Not just signed up, but truly involved. I promise for what you put into Clemson, you will receive ten-fold. I know I sure have!