Senior Parker Tilley

November 30, 2018

Name: Parker Tilley
Expected Graduation Year: May 2019
Major(s): Financial Management, Accounting
Emphasis: Corporate Finance
Minor(s): Public Policy
Hometown: Winston-Salem, NC

Why did you choose Finance as a major?

I have always had an entrepreneurial mindset and have enjoyed raising money for various organizations in my community. Majoring in something related to business was a given. I specifically chose Finance (and Accounting) after attending the Martha Guy Summer Business Institute at Appalachian State University the summer after my junior year of high school. For three weeks we took a deep dive into the different majors within business and learned what it meant to pursue a career in those fields upon graduation. I was fascinated with everything that you could do with Finance.

What career field/job would you like to pursue after graduating?

I have already accepted a full time job offer with SunTrust Robinson Humphrey in Atlanta, GA upon graduation as an analyst within portfolio management. I interned with the firm this past summer and learned so much about investment banking.

What has been your favorite/most memorable moment at Clemson?

The ring ceremony without a doubt. I will never forget the feeling I had opening the box and putting the ring on for the first time. It is a lifelong reminder of your ties to the Clemson family!

Any recent accomplishments?

I have spent a lot of time abroad so far this year. I just returned from my third international trip right before the semester began. In 2018 I’ve visited 13 countries—Finland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Thailand, Singapore, Australia, South Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, Brazil, Peru, and Argentina. It’s been a whirlwind experience but I think it is best to travel while you are in college and have the time.

Do you have a great internship experience you’d like to share?

In addition to interning with SunTrust Robinson Humphrey last summer, I have also interned with American Airlines in Hub Planning and Administration at the Charlotte airport. It was fascinating to see how an airline operates—from catering to baggage to maintenance, I got to see it all in the 12 week program. It also came with some pretty neat travel perks, so I flew to Europe and South America almost every weekend!

What do you think prepared you the most?

There have been many experiences that have prepared me for where I am today. I think Clemson does a fantastic job of equipping students with the opportunities and resources necessary to be successful. First and foremost, my professors have done a great job with integrating real world projects and examples into my classes. Those ideas and lessons are what help us as Clemson students to stand out from our peers. Additionally, my involvement in student organizations across campus has helped me tremendously. By serving as Chair of the College of Business Student Advisory Board, President of Delta Sigma Pi, and working as a tour guide for the university, I have gained invaluable skills that will benefit me for the rest of my life.

Any words of advice to other students?

Network, network, network! I have met so many people not just from traveling internationally, but from taking the time to make connections within the Clemson community. Tiger Ties is a must! Get a mentor and create meaningful interactions, and reach out to other alumni who are not your “official” mentor. Additionally, nothing is a substitute for hard work. If you see other students with cool internships or full time jobs, they did not get there by happenstance. It was the culmination of hard work, networking, studying, and grit.