Launching the ClemsonGC Gear Rental Program: Behind the Scenes with Chris Knox

August 17, 2017

The students of GC3400 using the newest camera technology—the mirrorless Sony a6300—and audio equipment

The students of GC3400 using the newest camera technology—the mirrorless Sony a6300—and audio equipment. Click the image to see the gif in motion!

By: Chris Knox, ClemsonGC Graduate student, Class of 2018

We’ve been sharing content throughout this month showing off the department’s upcoming ClemsonGC Gear Rental Program, but I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to give you all a first-hand look at the creation of the system and how we’ve already been putting it into action with our students this summer.

The ClemsonGC Gear Rental Program is something that Dr. Walker and I have been working to implement since the spring semester and it is something that I feel will be invaluable to our students and faculty moving forward. The first step was to expand the department’s available technology and equipment offerings, which we’ve had the opportunity to do throughout the summer and will continue to expand into the fall. Now, by making this equipment available to our students for use both inside and outside of classes, they will have more opportunities to diversify themselves and expand their portfolios before they enter the workforce. We hope that through this program, we’ll see even more creative, high-quality content come out of this program than ever before.

An Instagram “boomerang” created for GC4900 using both video and photo content combined through the Creative Cloud

An Instagram “boomerang” created for GC4900 using both video and photo content combined through the Creative Cloud. Click the image to see the gif in motion!

In fact, part of why I’m so optimistic about the program is that I was able to utilize it this past summer session. I took part in one of the department’s newest course offerings, GC4900 “Media & Film in the Digital Age.” This course was taught by Clemson Athletics’ Assistant Director of New & Creative Media, Nik Conklin. Nearly every day this summer, we used the newest video and photography equipment through the Gear Rental Program to create high quality motion graphics and videos.

My classmates and I learned about the intricacies of creating quality digital video content firsthand from an industry professional, using some of the same equipment that Clemson Athletics uses to create their nationally-recognized social content. Whether it was how to record and sync professional-sounding audio, how to frame, compose, and plan a shot, or how to achieve the correct technical settings in my equipment to produce a professional-looking final product, I was learning something new every day and expanding my potential skill set for future employers. That is not even getting into how much I enjoyed getting to create unique video content, something that I never even imagined I would be doing just a few years ago. It was all thanks to the ClemsonGC Gear Rental Program that this was possible, and I am excited to say that Nik’s fall course already plans to have every single student take part in the program again.

What is even more significant, though, is that Nik’s class barely got to scratch the surface of what the program offers. Beyond just the new video and photography equipment, the department now has drawing tablets, virtual reality equipment including the Samsung Gear VR and Gear 360 camera, and a plethora of other offerings that will allow students to expand their creation in many different directions. What I’m most excited for entering this fall semester is to see the incredible new content that my classmates will create and the ways our professors might integrate this new equipment into the courses. To get a sneak peek at some of this equipment and how it’s already being used by the department, check out the latest posts from our Instagram page.

A screenshot from my final project for GC4900—a one minute short film

The program itself will be available to all enrolled Graphic Communications students starting this fall for a registration fee of $25 per semester or $40 annually. By registering, students will be able to reserve and rent out equipment for a full three-day period (including weekends) and can use this equipment both for coursework as well as for personal use. The process of renting and returning equipment is pain-free as well; all it takes is a quick visit to Godfrey 206 with your TigerOne card to reserve or rent out the equipment during our operating hours, which will be posted and updated weekly.

Students will have the opportunity to select from a number of individual items or item bundles to ensure they have everything they need to start creating. Professors and faculty will be able to reserve equipment they plan to use for coursework in advance. Our hope is that by centralizing this system, it’ll be easier than ever to get the department’s technology and equipment (both old and new) into the hands of our students and teachers.

Again, I can’t overstate how excited we are to see this program finally come to fruition this fall. It has been an incredible learning experience for me getting the system setup and operational with the department’s newest equipment and utilizing the system during the summer to grow my value as a prospective employee for after graduation. With how much I was able to learn from just a few months of participating in the Gear Rental program, I can’t wait to see the doors this program will open for other students in our department.

Upcoming College of Business Events