Clemson University Blogs

The Department of History mourns the passing of Earnest McPherson “Whitey” Lander Jr. – Professor Emeritus

Dr. Lander was a long- time Alumni Professor of History at Clemson University before his retirement in 1983. The Ernest M. Lander, Jr. Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies is named in his honor. He was was an extraordinarily respected historian who was very well known among Historians of the American South. Any example of his insights into Clemson’s history were on display in 2000 during his presidential colloquium titled, “Where we have been: personal reflections on Clemson’s past”, which can be read here.

A memorial service will be held on Friday, August 23, 2013 at 2 p.m. at Clemson United Methodist Church. A private burial will be at Woodland Cemetery (Cemetery Hill) on Clemson University Campus.

One Response to “The Department of History mourns the passing of Earnest McPherson “Whitey” Lander Jr. – Professor Emeritus”

1. To the Department of History,

I had the pleasure and privilege of being a student in the department during the years 1963-1967 as a history major. Dr. Lander was a major influence in my academic career and convinced me to change from chemistry to history. (If I hadn’t, I doubt that I would have graduated.) Whitey was always supportive, interesting, and interested in his students. He graciously tolerated my visits to his office for off the cuff chats and advice. He was a masterful teacher and a gentleman. I will always believe that he called in every IOU he ever had at UNC to shoe horn me into grad school there. I got a good preparation at Clemson and earned an MA in one calendar year thanks to Whitey’s influence on my academic life.

He will be missed. May he rest in peace. My condolences to his family.

Carl H. Huffman, BA ’67