Back-to-school events, activities will keep faculty, staff and students busy
By Jackie Todd, Office of University Relations
It’s that time of year again at Clemson where new and continuing students converge on campus. Combine that with myriad back-to-school activities, a newly designed university academic convocation and a once-in-a lifetime total solar eclipse. There’s something for everyone as Clemson opens its doors to the campus community…and to the world.
Here are just a few of the many events going on in the next week.
- New and continuing students will move to the university’s main campus during Move-in Weekend, Friday, Aug. 18 through Sunday, Aug. 20. Be prepared for intermittent traffic delays, road closures/detours and lots of pedestrian traffic.
- President Clements will host his annual picnic for students, 5-7 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 20 on the President’s lawn.
- What better way for faculty to kick off the school year than to attend the General Faculty Meeting, 9 a.m. Monday, Aug. 21 at Littlejohn Coliseum. The event will be livestreamed here.
- Clemson’s newly designed Convocation will take place Monday, Aug. 21 at Littlejohn Coliseum. Famed broadcast journalist Jay Allison will share his insights as the guest speaker for the event. A revised approach to this important event will bring all new, transfer and graduate students, and faculty and staff, together for the convocation in one location for the first time. Check out the agenda here. The event will be livestreamed here.
- Tell your family and friends that you were at Clemson during the once-in-a-lifetime total solar eclipse. The Eclipse Over Clemson will happen Monday, Aug. 21 on Clemson’s main campus.
- The Avenue of Champions will be partially closed for the annual Tiger Prowl event, which will happen in Memorial Stadium, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 22.
- Faculty, staff and students are invited to enjoy free food, music and fun at Clemson’s Unity Picnic, 11 a.m.–1 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 23, which is the first day of classes. The event will take place at Core Campus.
- The whole family will enjoy the annual Welcome Back Festival 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 23. More than 70 vendors from local restaurants, businesses and university organizations will offer food tastings, prizes and cool swag on College Avenue in downtown Clemson.
- Celebrate the start of the academic year and be the first to hear about the journeys of Clemson students at the Clemson Moments Open House, to be held from 5 until 7 p.m. Thurs., Aug 24 in downtown Greenville’s ONE City Plaza. Experience Clemson, the university’s interactive center located on the plaza, will be open throughout the event with giveaways, food and beverages. Bring your family and friends to this free, fun event!
Check the university calendar for more events.