Department of Languages

Longtime faculty member Scott Harris retires

(L-R) Dean Richard Goodstein, Scott Harris, and Department Chair Salvador Oropesa at the retirement party. (Photo courtesy of Su-I Chen.)

Senior Lecturer of Spanish Scott Harris retired in December 2017. His retirement marks the end of a 30-year career in the Department of Languages, where he began teaching in January 1988.

Harris earned his B.A. in Spanish and his M.A.T. in Secondary Education in Spanish from the University of South Carolina. Although he was trained to teach high school, he enjoyed teaching college much more. After graduating, he taught at Furman University for two years before coming to Clemson.

At Clemson, Harris taught elementary and intermediate levels of Spanish and served on various committees, including the President’s Council for Community and Diversity and the Declamation Committee. He also served as the Scheduler and Registration Coordinator for the department for many years.

Members of the department at the retirement party. (Photo courtesy of Su-I Chen.)

Of his most memorable activities at Clemson, Harris said, “Over the years I enjoyed the Southern Circuit Film showings and have greatly missed that program since its recent departure. I was also proud to be involved in the founding of the Lambda Society, the first gay-straight alliance organization, back in the early 90s here at Clemson.”

Harris will be greatly missed by his colleagues in the department, who feted him at a retirement party in December. Department Chair Salvador Oropesa described Harris as the “electricity” of the department, while CAAH Dean Richard Goodstein called him the “glue.” Other attendees reminisced about their time working with Harris.

Congratulations, Scott!