February message from Interim Dean Boosinger

February 3, 2020

Dear faculty, staff, students and friends,

Strode Tower exterior view

Change is coming soon to Strode Tower. Image credit: Clemson University Relations

In January, the College focused a significant amount of time and energy on our national search for a new dean. The search committee has completed its work and forwarded its final evaluations to the Provost.

I am confident that Provost Bob Jones will announce the appointment of a new dean of the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities in the near future. I was very impressed by the quality of the dean candidates and I look forward to working with the new dean on a smooth transition.

The search for a new director of the School of Architecture is ongoing. The on-campus interviews for the new director position will be completed by the end of February. We should be able to announce the new director’s appointment in March.

A lift for our lecturers 

I am pleased to report that the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities, with the full support of the University, has taken the appropriate steps to increase entry-level salaries for all of our full-time lecturers. This initiative began long before I came to CAAH and it has been something we have been quietly ironing out behind the scenes for months.

Lecturers play very important roles in supporting the instructional mission at the College. I continue to be impressed with our lecturers’ credentials, their incredible talents and their dedication to the success of our students. At Clemson University, all of our students are shaped by the general education courses offered by the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities. Many Clemson students learn directly from the high-quality lecturers across the University and within CAAH.

In our College, full-time lecturer positions are appointments that regularly renew and provide continuity, full benefits and summers off. Beginning with the first paycheck of 2020, the starting salaries for full-time lecturers have been raised to a new minimum – an increase of more than 17 percent. These changes are timely and proper.

‘Family’ gathering in New Orleans

My wife and I were honored to help host an alumni reception in New Orleans in conjunction with the College Football Playoff National Championship. It was a great opportunity for everyone there to share their thoughts and ideas about the future of the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities, and to join in the excitement associated with being in New Orleans to watch the game.

More than 100 people attended the pregame festivities at Bourbon House (on Bourbon Street, of course!), and everyone there appeared to be in high spirits.

If all goes as planned, it is possible this will be my last message to you as interim dean of CAAH. But regardless of the timing surrounding the transition, I want you to know that it has been an honor and a privilege to serve a college filled with so many amazing people. I can honestly say that during the last six months I have enjoyed coming to work every day.

Thank you all for your continued support of the College.

Warmest regards,

Tim