How to Make a Long Distance Relationship Work in College

February 18, 2022

Hey everyone, Sophia here again! I’ve been sitting here brainstorming good topics to write about, until I realized that I could easily give you all the tips that I myself needed to learn recently. I am in a long distance relationship, which has definitely had its ups and downs while we were navigating how to make it work. We personally did not figure out the key to make it work until this semester, but ever since then, things have been working great.  Without further ado, I am going to give you 3 rules which are the key to success in a long distance relationship.

Sophia and her long-distance boyfriend.

Rule #1: A Phone Call a Day

This is the most fundamental rule that I have discovered in this journey of a relationship– you cannot skip this rule!

My boyfriend and I FaceTime each other once every day; it doesn’t matter how long or short this call is, as long as there is one. It can be five minutes or thirty– either way it gets the job done of seeing each other’s faces and hearing each other’s voice.

This is especially important in our generation because we lean on text messages as our primary form of communication; texting not only lacks personability, but also is expected to be a constant form of communication throughout every day. As college students, we are too busy to be sending texts every second of the day– hence why we should do a short call a day when we do have the time as it makes the lack of constant texting a nonexistent issue.

Rule #2: Look at The Bigger Picture

After not seeing each other for a long period of time, individuals in relationships tend to get frustrated or angry. This means that any minimal issue that arises has the potential to blow up and seem like the end of the world. In moments like these, you ask yourself: “is this even worth it?” You cannot see them, you fight a lot, and you don’t get what you are fighting for.

This is the moment where you take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Chances are, whatever you’re fighting over is ridiculous and blown completely out of proportion when you look at the broader scale– at all of the worse problems that you two could be having. Look at the bigger picture, take a deep breath, and remember that you are probably just acting up due to the emotions you have developed from missing your significant other.

Rule #3: The Special Element

When you don’t see your significant other, you tend to forget to make them feel special– you may not even know how to make them feel special when you are miles and miles away from them. However, I am here to tell you that it is very possible, and here’s how:

• Send them something. My boyfriend once ordered insomnia cookies to my dorm when I was sick. This was a small gesture that put a large smile on my face. 
  • Remind them how much you love them. When I am thinking about how great my boyfriend is and how important our relationship is to me, I tell him. We occasionally send each other very nice messages to remind each other why we’re together.
  • Look forward to the day that you get to see them. Make a countdown! Make plans! When you cook something that you think they’d like, tell them that you will cook it for them when you see them!

All of these seemingly small and easy elements have a greater impact than you would expect. Live by these three rules and watch your relationship grow to a level that you never imagined it growing to while apart!

Sophia Wilkins, Communication Intern

Follow our work here and be sure to check-out our work in these locations:

LinkedIn: Department of Communication-Clemson University
YouTube: ClemsonCOMMChannel
Instagram: @Clemson_Comm
Twitter: @ClemsonCOMM
Facebook. @ClemsonCOMM
Online: www.clemson.edu/communication

Comments