Student Spotlight

Jacob Livingston

Where are you from?    Conway, South Carolina

What year are you?       Junior

What’s your major / minor?   Major – Bioengineering;  Minor – Business Administration

What 3 traits define you?    Extroverted, Tenacious, Caffeinated

How did you choose Clemson?    When I toured Clemson for the second time, I was walking around campus, looking for the Bioengineering building. A man walked past me, noticing I looked lost. He ended up taking me to Bioengineering building and giving me an hour-long tour. He then told me that he was the head of the Bioengineering department. I was very impressed with the fact that he took the time out of his day and invested it in me. I knew then that Clemson was the right school for me.

What other activities / clubs are you involved in on campus and in the Honors College?       I am a Tour Guide and I am a member of the Student Senate. I also have a leadership role in Campus Life, where I help oversee housing and dining services. In my free time, I volunteer at the Paw Pantry, which is a community-wide movement to reduce food insecurity and promote wellbeing at Clemson. Within the Honors College, I am an Honors Ambassador and I used to be involved in the Dixon Fellows Program. I am currently researching nanoparticle use in detection diabetes for my Departmental Honors Thesis. I am also a part of the Engineering Honors Society and Leadership Honors Society.

What’s your favorite thing about Clemson and the Honors College?    My favorite thing about Clemson is that it is very student-focused. Faculty members truly want you to succeed and want to build relationships with you. I really appreciate how the Clemson Honors College offers a variety of opportunities and resources that enhance the Clemson experience for students. As a freshman, I was involved in EUREKA, which is a great research opportunity for honors students. The people that I met through that program are still my best friends today.

Where is your favorite study spot at Clemson?    Student Government offices.  It’s quiet enough where I am able to work efficiently, but I also always see good friends there.

What would you say is your greatest accomplishment that you are most proud of at Clemson so far?    As a member of the Student Senate, advocating for LGBTQ community rights at Clemson has been the greatest accomplishment that I am most proud of so far because it is a movement that I am really passionate about.

What’s your favorite Clemson memory?    During my freshman year, it snowed in Clemson, which rarely happens. My friends and I decided to go sledding on the hill next to the Brooks Center. We ended up outside sledding for two hours and we had a lot of fun!

What’s one thing you couldn’t live without?    Iced coffee.

In one sentence, say something really weird or interesting about you.   In my entire life, I have never won a game of tug of war.

Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why?   Cinque Terre, Italy. I spent four days there and hiked through the area and relaxed on the beach. There are the most beautiful coastal hiking paths there.