Senior Conor Kolstad

October 3, 2016

Name: Conor KolstadConor Kolstad
Hometown: Winnetka, IL
Expected Graduation Year: May 2017
Major(s): Financial Management
Emphasis: Financial Services
Minor(s): Accounting

Why did you choose Finance as a major?

Financial management originally appealed to me when I took the Business 1010 class freshman year. It was described as a major where I could learn how companies make capital decisions, how portfolios are managed, and how financial theory has evolved over the past half century, among other things. My teachers and experiences in finance classes since sophomore year have continually reaffirmed my decision to choose finance as a major.

What career field/job would you like to pursue after graduating?

Following graduation I will be starting my position as a first year analyst for SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, the investment banking arm of SunTrust Banks.

What has been your favorite/most memorable moment at Clemson?

The 2015 Clemson football season was an incredible run. Winning at home against Notre Dame and Florida State will definitely be two of my favorite moments looking back on my time at Clemson. I had grown up going to Notre Dame games with my family, so having them in town for that rain soaked game made it an unforgettable weekend.

Any recent accomplishments?

This semester I started my new position as Director of Finance for Clemson Undergraduate Student Government. Along with other Directors, I will be working to continue Clemson’s rise as one of the best Universities in the country. Individually, my largest responsibility is to help manage CUSG’s $100,000+ semester budget.

Do you have a great internship experience you’d like to share?

During my internship I was able to work with Clemson alumni on a daily basis, which contributed to a strong learning environment at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey. Having been in my shoes only a year or two before, they were excited to help as I learned skills like valuation analysis and how to build complex financial models. What also made the experience great was being able share some memorable experiences with other interns from schools around the southeast. This summer I was able to see a few famous places in the city, like the Ponce City Market, Turner Field, and the SweetWater Brewery.

What do you think prepared you the most?

In addition to the finance classes that gave me exposure to topics like companies’ capital structures and the way financial markets work, the accounting classes I took gave me a strong foundation on how to read financial statements. Having that knowledge was key and I was able to apply it on a daily basis during my internship.

Any words of advice to other students?

Being involved with extracurricular groups while I’ve been at Clemson is something I’d encourage for a couple reasons. First, it was rewarding to be able to contribute to something I was passionate about. Also, I was put in a position to meet students, faculty, and staff, as well as see parts of campus and town, that I would have never been able to if I hadn’t looked to be involved. Putting myself in situations outside of my comfort zone has made my experience at Clemson seem more full than if I had only been involved with the group of people I meet during freshman year.