Senior Paul Currey

October 9, 2017

Name: Paul CurreyPaul Currey
Expected Graduation Year: December 2017
Major(s): Financial Management
Emphasis: Corporate Finance
Minor(s): Accounting
Hometown: Columbia, SC

Why did you choose Finance as a major?

I wanted to choose a field where I could help people in a very practical way. In 2008, I was struck at how much of a role the financial services industry played in the lives’ of every American. I wanted to have a positive impact on whatever community I ended up in, and working in finance seemed like a place that needed people dedicated to that mission.

What career field/job would you like to pursue after graduating?

Thankfully, I have the opportunity to get started in the Business Valuation Consulting practice at Elliott Davis Decosimo. Consulting intrigued me, because it is challenging work that offers a variety of projects and scenarios. Business Valuation is a great field to apply various techniques learned in the classroom at Clemson, much of what I’ve learned will translate directly into my role as an analyst.

What has been your favorite/most memorable moment at Clemson?

The Ring Ceremony this past semester was definitely up there. Hearing about the rich tradition of Clemson’s military heritage and seeing so many peers united by that rich heritage was a special moment.

Any recent accomplishments?

Excited to be a founding member of the Clemson Valuation Club. Wells Fargo Student Scholars Recipient.

Do you have a great internship experience you’d like to share?

This past summer, I had the pleasure of interning within the Business Valuation group at Elliott Davis. I had learned so much about what finance looks like in the real world. I grew so much professionally and personally, and had the privilege of being surrounded by a great firm culture.

What do you think prepared you the most?

Dr. Wolf’s Financial Modeling class was the best primer for entering the world as an analyst that I could have asked for in college. I felt exponentially more confident this past summer because of that course.

Any words of advice to other students?

Go to the networking events that the College of Business organizes. Faculty within the Finance department works hard to bring in firms that would be great to land at post-graduation. If nothing else, go for the great barbecue.