Strategies for Combating Procrastination
- Take control of your environment – work in a place that is free from distractions as much as possible.
- Make a “TO DO” list.
- Establish a routine.
- Self-bribery — give yourself rewards.
- Divide and Conquer — break larger tasks into smaller units — thereby eliminating how daunting the task seems. As you complete each small unit, move on to the next one. Before you know it, you’ll be done
- Use a planner for time management.
- Use the 10-minute rule. When you have trouble getting started, select a specific task to work on for 10 minutes. At the end of 10 minutes, see how much you’ve done. Keep working in 10-minute blocks until you are satisfied with what you have done.
- When you finish working on a task, do one more thing before you quit then you will be ahead when you sit down the next time.
List created by Annie Passarello, GTA, Academic Success Center