Suppose you have an asset in Cascade you want to display in the left navigation of more than one site. You can copy the asset over and over again into each of the folders for the site, but you don’t want to duplicate an asset multiple times. What do you do? Create a reference asset! A reference asset is a special asset in Cascade that represents an existing asset in another location. This means a single asset can appear to exist in multiple locations. The asset will appear in the left navigation as if it had been copied to multiple folder but in actuality, it just links to the original asset.
To create the reference:
- Select the page you want to create a Reference for from the asset tree.
- Go to the Advanced menu and choose Reference. The Reference window is displayed.
- Enter a system name for the reference. The system name should be different from any other asset in the same folder as the reference asset. The display name of the asset being referenced will be retained. You may change it after the reference has been created.
- Navigate to the folder where the reference will be displayed. Submit the asset.
- The Reference is now created!
Notice the reference asset in the asset tree. Select the reference asset and the referenced page will be displayed.