CDT Hawthorne’s Study Study Abroad Experience

January 16, 2024

This past semester I took part in a true exchange program at Bond university in Gold Coast Australia. Bond University is Australia’s first private university and is Australia’s top university for student experience. Bond University hosts a diverse international campus hosting a ratio of 60:40 Australian to international students; there were times where I felt like I was meeting more Europeans and other Americans than I was Australians. My International Business class was 60% Norwegian on its own! Going to a school with such a diverse but high quality and like-minded student body provided the opportunity to gain connections and make friends all over the world in a very short amount of time while gaining valuable insight into all the cultures that I was exposed to.

With the school being almost 50% international/ study abroad, everyone was in the same boat by trying to make as many friends as possible since we were all in a new environment. Which led to me making a lot of travel friends. It wasn’t surprising to meet someone one week and then the next week you were planning a trip half way across the country. While in Australia I traveled to Cairns to dive the Great Barrier Reef, Brisbane the capital of Queensland, Byron Bay, Noosa, Sydney, and New Zealand. But I was only able to take part in this program thanks to an Australian Army Officer who spent time at Clemson University, Captain Phillips. Captain Phillips and I became good friends during his time in the states and he invited me to take part in the same program but visit his school and continue my Army training at his old unit. Through this partnership I was able to spend time and train with the 25th/49th Royal Queens Regiment light infantry Bravo Company. During my time with the 25th/49th  I went on two, three-day training exercises focusing on military operations in urban terrain (MOUT) where for half the time I was with the junior officers practicing our order writing and planning while being graded by more senior officers. Then the other half of the time we were with the soldiers for the capstone exercise of the operation. 

My study abroad experience in Australia has been nothing short of transformative, paving the way for valuable lessons that will undoubtedly shape my future career as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army. Delving into the intricacies of corporate change models, international marketing, negotiations, and business operations across borders has laid a comprehensive foundation for the challenges inherent in military leadership. The training I received with the 25th/49th Royal Queens Regiment further enriched my understanding of global perspectives, cultural nuances, and strategic thinking. As I transition into my military career, these collective experiences are poised to significantly enhance my effectiveness in navigating the dynamic and diverse environment of military leadership.

University Events