CDT Jolly attends CTLT at Fort Wainwrite, Alaska

August 20, 2014

This summer I was given the privilege to train with the 5th Squadron,Jolly 5 1st Cavalry Regiment. An element of 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division located at FT. Wainwright in the great state of Alaska. Within the Squadron I was assigned to Crazyhorse Troop and more specifically to Red Platoon. The experience I gained from my time with 5-1 Cav cannot be quantified. I have no doubt that my involvement in CTLT will be a great benefit to me as I move forward, both as an ML 4 and as a 2nd Lieutenant.

In ROTC, cadets gain experience in leadership, teamwork, and interpersonal tact. We are taught how to lead others and work together to complete the mission. Yet, because of college classes, ROTC activities are always very limited in time and duration. Few cadets ever get to see what Army life looks like day in and day out. CTLT was able to provide me with an understanding of what being an Active Duty soldier entails on a daily basis. Not only that, but
I also learned what a 2nd Lieutenant’s job is and how he effectively carries it out. From planning future missions to disciplining and counseling soldiers to leading Jolly 1from the front in PT, I was able to observe and understand the wide variety of jobs of a 2nd Lieutenant. I gained a vast understanding of how a platoon works and runs on a daily basis. I was able to talk to the privates and NCO’s to discuss their roles within the platoon as well as desirable traits and aspects of 2nd Lieutenants. I even got to do the cool stuff such as learn climbing and repelling techniques, take part in
Stryker Gunnery Skills Test, cruise around in Strykers, and handle multiple large caliber weapon systems. On top of all of that, I got to enjoy the nightlife and food of local Fairbanks, Alaska, and hike in the Alaskan wilderness on the weekends.

Overall, CTLT was a great experience. I learned invaluable lessons and was able to witness firsthand the jobs and responsibilities of a 2nd Lieutenant. The knowledge gained from this training will undoubtedly aid me in the near future. I would not trade my CTLT experience for anything in the world. The chance to observe active duty Army life and witness the inner workings of a platoon should be afforded to every ROTC cadet.

Jolly 2 Jolly 3

Jolly 4

University Events