Clemson Bioengineering

ALUMNUS NICK ERDMAN: “GET THE TRAINING!”

Unable to get a recent photo of Nick, we prevailed upon Dr. Bruce Gao to provide this photo of a 2011 lab meeting. Nick is front left. Editor

Describe experiences with your work and your family since graduation.
After graduating, finding work in the Greenville area in the field of bioengineering was extremely challenging. While sending out resumes and interviewing, I worked part time as a math tutor. Eventually, after 7 months of looking for work, I was able to secure a position as a scientist at Kiyatec Inc.

What it is like having been out of school for this long vs. your first year out?
I’ve only been out of school about a year-and-a-half. In that timespan a lot has changed for me. I got married and purchased my first house.

Is there something you learned at Clemson University that has repeatedly been valuable?
Be sure to take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself. Try and attend as many workshops or lectures that you can. If there are opportunities to learn a new scientific skill, be sure to get the training. You may not need the skill at the time, but having the experience will make you more marketable when searching for a job.

What about your first job was unexpected?
I think the amount of time it took to find full-time employment was the most unexpected thing I’ve encountered. I would highly recommend polishing your resume well in advance of graduation. One great resource that I was introduced to was the book, “Knock ‘em Dead,” by Martin Yate.

What would you tell current students about life after graduation?
Life after graduation for me is very similar to graduate school, minus the twelve-hour work days. If you go into industry, the eight-hour work day is probably the biggest difference. You will have a boss similar to your research advisor. Make sure that wherever you end up working, you are working on a project that you find interesting. If you don’t enjoy what you are doing, it can make for very long days.

If there are opportunities to learn a new scientific skill, be sure to get the training. You may not need the skill at the time, but having the experience will make you more marketable when searching for a job. Nick Erdman