Clemson Bioengineering

RYAN BOREM AND HETAL MAHARAJA ARE AWARDED SOCIETY FOR BIOMATERIALS STAR AWARDS

The primary motivation for my study in bioengineering is to improve human lives using my skills as an engineer. For research—I focus on question “why” until a scientific understanding is developed, and the rest follows. SFB is an excellent platform to demonstrate my work in the field of biomaterials, connect with leaders in field and also learn about different areas of biomaterials research. The STAR award was an important recognition of my research. In Biosensors Lab, I am interested in using electrochemical techniques to critically evaluate a material’s performance under various environmental conditions. After completion of my PhD, I see myself progressing in the research and development domain and eventually being a voice of researchers to the world. Clemson’s bioengineering department has played a pivotal role in my development as a researcher. The varied expertise, easy collaboration and excellent facilities that enable research contributed to achievement of my research goals. The interactions with inspiring bioengineering faculty helped me grow as a person, too. When I have spare time, I like to travel and exercise my creative muscle by exploring different crafts like painting and pottery.

After six years of active duty in the U.S. Army, I knew I was ready to pursue a college education. Suffering from a back injury sustained during a deployment in Iraq, I wanted to join a research lab that studied orthopaedic pathologies, specifically those focusing on the intervertebral discs of the spine. Through hard work and dedication, in addition to the support from the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program, I have been able to focus my research on a tissue-engineered annulus fibrosus repair patch (AFRP), which may one day assist the repair and regeneration of degenerated intervertebral discs. Recently, I submitted two abstracts to the Society For Biomaterials (SFB); they focused on 1) the further development of the AFRP to restore spinal kinematics and 2) the evaluation of the
AFRP’s efficacy when used in a large animal model. Both abstracts
were recognized for their research excellence, and I was selected
for financial support toward development as a future leader within
the Society.

Two Student Travel Achievement Recognitions (STARs)
awards were presented to me at the 2018 SFB annual meeting in
Atlanta. However, this would not have been possible without the hard
work and collaboration of my fellow lab members (Allison Madeline
and Joshua Walters) and my advisor (Dr. Jeremy Mercuri) on this
research. I hope that my continuing dedication to research will
serve future generations through the application of bioengineering
technology towards complex problems of medical care. In my
opinion, bioengineering provides a glimpse into the advancement of
modern medicine, and I am proud to be part of a healthier future.