Clemson Bioengineering

Student IP Attracts Global Interest

For 80% of the world’s diabetics, the diagnosis means debilitation and premature death. Having attracted private investment, Kayla Gainey co-founded Accessible Diagnostics, which will market award-winning technology developed through Creative Inquiry to the world.

For her abstract, “Glucosense: a Low-Cost Glucometer System for Resource-Poor Settings,” Kayla, a student of Dr. Delphine Dean, was recognized at the 14th Diabetes Technology Society Annual Meeting, November 6-8, 2014. In addition to receiving travel, a monetary award, and other considerations, Kayla was asked to submit an original article to the September 2015 issue of the Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology.

Kayla noted, “Beginning the Glucosense project as an undergraduate was one of my first opportunities to apply what I had learned in the classroom. I am a type 1 diabetic, and I have always wanted to work in design for diabetes technologies.”

As reported here previously, Kayla and Creative Inquiry team members, Tyler Ovington and Alex Devon, were awarded the 2014 Lemelson-MIT “Cure it!” prize in the undergraduate category for their GlucoSense project.