Clemson Bioengineering

The thing I enjoy the most about the MEng Program is its structure: Grace White

Initially, I chose the Master of Engineering program as a way to delay graduation by another year.  To put it simply, I was not ready for the real world. Before I decided to fully commit, I met with Dr. Jeremy Mercuri, the creator of the program, in the spring of my junior year. He explained that the MEng program is very beneficial for someone who knows they want to go into industry, but are not sure what area. As he was telling me this, I caught myself thinking “there’s other areas besides research and development?” Immediately, I realized I had a lot to gain from just one additional year.

The summer before the MEng program, I had the opportunity to intern with Corbion, a biomaterials company just outside Atlanta.  Again, I was a R&D intern. However, this time things were a little different. I was at a relatively small company location, with fewer than 30 employees there.  Yes, I worked mostly with the R&D team, but in such a small facility, it was hard to ignore the other areas.  I was constantly seeing what project managers, technicians, quality control engineers and specialists, and regulatory affairs specialists do daily.  This made me even more excited for what was to come in the MEng program.

Little did I know, Corbion had more in store for me than just the summer internship. We were able to work out a way for me to continue working part time in Atlanta on Mondays and Tuesdays while still earning my master’s degree in Clemson the rest of the week. I knew this was going to be a challenging year, to say the least. However, I also knew it was going to be an invaluable one. Working while completing my degree has allowed me to see how the things we learn in class are directly applied in industry.  It has also taught me how to balance and prioritize my tasks. The coolest part is, I am not the only one given this kind of opportunity.  The MEng program not only pushes you to explore different professional areas, but helps you find an internship to broaden your scope of what a biomedical engineering career could hold for you. This is one of the many ways this program can benefit you.

The thing I enjoy the most about the MEng Program is its structure: There are tasks for you to complete, and then you are able to present your progress and findings to your professors, mentors, and even peers. Now, do not get me wrong, there are still lectures, homework, and a few exams that do require studying, but there are groups of people you can lean on for help and professors who are more like bosses in that they are there to support you along the way. It is hard to fail when everyone is on your team and rooting for your success academically, professionally and in terms of personal growth.

I also want to highlight that almost all of the professors involved in the core classes of the MEng program have worked or are currently working in industry.  I think this gives the program an upper hand compared to programs taught by professors strictly involved in academia.  Our professors know firsthand what it is like to be in our shoes applying for jobs, but they also know what it’s like to be hiring on the company’s side. Having seen both sides, our professors are able to help us prepare for the real world in ways that many other programs cannot offer.

I have also enjoyed the experiences this program has had to offer. My most memorable experience was over Fall Break, when we took a trip to Memphis, TN, where many orthopedic medical device companies are located. We toured and networked with two large companies, Medtronic and Wright Medical, and simultaneously, we all got to know our classmates better. I enjoyed this experience because not only did it expand, yet again, my view of biomedical engineering, but it allowed me to hear first hand from people in industry what they were looking for in potential employees. I found that most of what they s was in alignment with skills I had gained from the MEng program.

I have no doubt that this program will make a significant difference in my future career. It has introduced and connected me to some of incredible people and has shown me some of the most memorable experiences. Without this program, I do not think I would be where I am today, and I look forward to where it will take me in the months leading up to graduation.>