MS Marketing Student Spotlight – Emily Brown

April 8, 2024

Emily Brown
Clemson University ’24

For the vast majority of my life, I have worked in the equine industry, where I prepared horses for training and competition, organized and promoted horse shows, and taught riding lessons. Because I went to college in the same state I’d lived in for much of my life, a priority I had when I decided to make the commitment to attend Graduate School and push myself academically was that it would be most beneficial to attend school out of state. My ‘WHY’ moment was when I tore my ACL in the summer of 2022, right before I was supposed to help show a special horse at the World’s Championship Horse Show in the most important class of the show. I had never considered other options outside the horse industry before this happened. I realized my love of the horse community was not as much about the animals, but the joy for me was in bringing people together through sports. I knew that to learn what I needed to know about sports, I needed to be selective about the school I chose, and Clemson was the obvious choice.

I chose the M.S. in Marketing program specifically because much of what I’d done in my undergraduate tenure was promotional efforts. This would look like growing membership of my club sports team, promoting riding lessons for the various horse farms I’d interned for, or coming up with fresh ideas for logo-wear apparel for each organization. I was very passionate about what I was doing. While the strategies and efforts I’d implemented were effective, I knew that there was so much more to learn. Marketing was the natural choice for this reason. This program has 100% set me up for success to take on whatever challenge comes next due to its extremely applied nature in relating to the real world and how to best leverage consumer data to get actionable results. The future and the now are data in every industry, and this program could not be more up-to-date in that sense.

My most memorable experience at Clemson has been the opportunity to manage and prepare the Premium spaces for Clemson Football game days. The environment is unmatched. The best part for me is getting to Death Valley early to put the finishing touches on everything– when it’s still dark out and very quiet in the morning. We worked quickly and tediously throughout the time before the gates opened. Once the gates open, it’s a magnificent feeling to watch the Miller Family WestZone and the Master’s Club fill with laughter, smiles, and cheers of, ‘GO TIGERS!’. Being able to aid in the donor experience, ensuring that they have the best gameday experience possible at Memorial Stadium, Littlejohn Coliseum, and Doug Kingsmore Stadium, has been incredibly rewarding. Building relationships with the donors, in addition to my highly supportive colleagues at IPTAY, has been a driving force of my entrance into the Clemson Family.

My biggest advice for someone wanting to pursue the M.S. in Marketing program here at Clemson is to use the time you have in the program to commit to being the best version of yourself you can every day. Build a habit of pursuing excellence. This program is only 10.5 months long. Use this to your advantage by making good choices that not only raises your value to employers but also creates soft skills that no one can ever take away from you.

In the application process to this program, highlight what makes you special. Everyone has this. If you can narrow down your unique traits– your unique selling proposition– you are already more than halfway there. Everyone in this program has a different definition of success, which is what makes this program so special.

You will work best, and shine best when you are pursuing what you are genuinely passionate about. With marketing being so flexible and necessary in every industry, take this opportunity to blend your passions with your career interests- employers and the professors here at Clemson want to see how passionate you are. Have a positive attitude and build a good foundation of discipline through the coursework and the MANY opportunities to attend networking events. You never know which event will be your ‘Yes, you’re hired!’

To expand on this, by membership in this program, you are given a support system of people who want to see you succeed. This is what’s called “The Power of the Paw”. Get to know those around you, and you will be surprised at how much knowledge they are willing to share. Do everything- and don’t be afraid to be seen trying. You will make mistakes, but what counts is what you do afterward. It’s not embarrassing to ask questions and be invested in this experience. Stick to the plan; don’t be afraid to stand out, and you will be rewarded. 

Circling back to my initial WHY, the biggest priority in my job search was how can I best help others connect through sports the way I have been able to throughout my own experiences? For this reason, I began to heavily research the sports sales industry and follow as many leads as I could find. With that being said, I could not be more excited and grateful to begin my career in sports sales after graduation with the Cleveland Cavaliers. I will work for their elite ticket sales team, The Foundation, as an Account Executive. In this role, I will learn everything about sports sales and executing at the highest level to provide Cavs fans with the best experiences possible. I cannot thank everyone at Clemson enough for their support and generosity. Without the knowledge and mentorship of the talented people that make up the Clemson Family, I would not have been able to reach this level of success to work for such a special team as the Cavaliers.