Alumni Spotlight – Kristen Agbato

April 11, 2024

Kristen Agbato
Clemson University ’07

Favorite memory as an undergraduate student?

I really tried to think of just one, but I loved my time at Clemson too much to narrow it down to one memory. I can only say that every time I think about it, I remember my dad was always so supportive and invested in me having a connected “Clemson experience” including taking me to dinner during exam week. My parents hosted tailgates for home games all four years that I was at Clemson, and those Saturdays brought together two parts of my life in a special way, truly some of my best memories.

Can you share your career journey since graduating from our college?

I actually met my current employer during my MKT 495 Capstone class. We did a case study with Dow during the Spring semester. I technically already had another job, so I was able to enjoy the case study and my last semester. After graduation, I moved to Charlotte and was invited to an event by Dr. Raymond and the Dow team was attending. That afternoon of networking led to me interviewing several months later and joining Dow which has now been a sixteen-year career journey.

I started in Sales and then transitioned into Marketing, Corporate Sports Partnerships, Business Development, and now Business Management. I have lived in Michigan, Georgia, and China, and now reside in New York City.

The most important part of my journey has been my personal growth as a wife and mother of three. They empower my strengths and forgive my weaknesses. The four of them always remind me that there is a reason to give praise, be generous, and love one another.

What were some of the challenges you faced during your transition from college to the professional world?

As a black female, I realized that Clemson was a bubble, but in many ways, it was also a clear representation of the challenges I would face in the thermal working world. When I say challenges, I am not talking about giving up summer break and starting the day before 10am, I’m talking about the mental and emotional stamina to recognize I needed to be inspired and encouraged to not only sow seeds but also reap the harvest. When I was at Clemson, I was in the Student Government and Minority Council, and it was an amazing and supportive community. But, I was also a Marketing student with only one or two other black students in my classes. Both of these environments gave me space. The gift of college is really understanding yourself and how you show up in different spaces. It’s hard to find “your default” when you are in the majority versus the minority and learning how to thrive in both settings.

What piece of advice would you give to college students?

I try not to give advice but instead share openly and hope that my experiences resonate, encourage, and challenge people to tackle whatever is in front of them.

1. What is something you can commit to that would make you proud of yourself? Personal goals give you a perfect opportunity to practice believing in yourself and knowing when to give yourself grace and when to push a little harder. For my twenty-sixth birthday, I decided to run a full marathon, many people doubted me, but the most important person believed I could do it. And I did. Not only was I proud of myself but it gave me a very clear reminder when I think I can’t do the next really hard thing. So, do yourself a favor and push for a moment, a project, a milestone that you can be proud of now and in the future. 
  2. Who can you elevate? When I was a student at Clemson, I was helped by many amazing people. I’m often reminded about the people who commit to support, advocate, and help others, and how that leads to another person doing the same. It’s often easy to see all of the challenges but harder to see how you can come alongside a person or team and really invest in making them great. I have also found this challenge as a way to stay humble and recognize the strengths in others. When I was a student, to was aware that I could help the community around me, but I also remember that I was once that little kid. Now, I actively look for ways to mentor and help others advance, and this gives me reasons to constantly celebrate because I am invested in their success and not just my accomplishments. I encourage you to pause and think of a person or an organization that has impacted you and how you could then pass it forward. 

How did your college experience, both academically and socially, contribute to your personal and professional growth?

Clemson showed me my personal gifts that I was a leader and a learner, and I had many experiences to build and practice these skills. For example, I was Chapter President of my sorority the first year I joined the sorority. I had so much to learn, and I also realized that I enjoyed the responsibility and trust of my sisters to represent our organization on and off campus. I was also in the first class of the iLead program. I was a senior, and I wasn’t even sure that I would be able to finish the program. But, I was just so excited to give my time to be a part of the pilot course, spend time with Mr. Gaubert, and contribute to something that would have an impact long after I was gone. You can imagine my surprise, six months after graduating, when I received my certificate of completion. It is still a lesson I carry today- how can I leave a person, a situation, a job, or a conversation better than I found it.