4-H News

Shooting Sports – Youth Highlight

Cassidy Hurst
South Carolina 4-H State Teen Council President

“My name is Cassidy Hurst, I am seventeen years old and going into my senior year of high school. I currently serve as President of the South Carolina 4-H State Teen Council.

Shooting sports is one of the multiple 4-H projects I participate in, but I have to say it is my favorite. Had I not started out here I would have never learned of the endless opportunities offered through 4-H. Starting out, I competed on the Belton Bullseyes BB-gun team. During my first year, I participated in a statewide gun safety test. After what felt like hours of studying and plenty of nerves to share, I scored 100% on the test. This was the beginning of a true passion of mine.  Fast-forward to March 2020, I competed in the 4-H State Presentation Contest. Presenting on gun safety.

I am now a member of the One More Shot Clemson 4-H Shotgun team, which I have been a member of for six years. I have had the opportunity to compete at the state championship several years, and I can say there is no better group of people to compete with than that of South Carolina 4-H. The people that were once teammates have become family, and I can gladly say they have pushed me to grow into the person I am today. So many positive aspects of my life circle back to shooting sports, and I am grateful for having the opportunity to give back. Shooting sports, to me, has become more than a sport.

Over the years it has been an outlet when times were difficult, there has always been something to learn, and it has led me to many great achievements both competing and in other areas of life. It taught me not only teamwork but the value of having teammates. South Carolina shooting sports helps youth develop the attributes necessary for success, which I have learned goes far beyond being good at what you do. I encourage anyone interested in shooting sports to join. And anyone who is involved to stay with it, even when it seems useless to keep trying. If you do not become the best shooter, it will still lead you to great places doing things you would have never imagined yourself capable of.”