Senior Steven Carroll

October 17, 2016

Steven CarrollName: Steven Carroll
Expected Graduation Year: May 2017
Major(s): Finance
Emphasis: Financial Planning
Minor(s): Accounting
Hometown: Aiken, SC

Why did you choose Finance as a major?

I originally was a biology major looking to pursue something in the medical arena. I decided that it was people that was my passion, not a specific field. That was how I found myself in business, wanting to learn tangible skills but not needing them to originally be overly specific. As I was in business, I did my homework and realized that finance would be the valuable and tangible skill that could be gained from Clemson’s business department, whether that was just for my own personal life or somewhere in the corporate world.

What career field/job would you like to pursue after graduating?

I will be a financial advisor with Northwestern Mutual

What has been your favorite/most memorable moment at Clemson?

There was a moment late at night on Bowman Field where I had a very specific encounter with the Lord. My faith has grown tremendously since I have been at Clemson. I will always hold that night as well as that particular aspect of my experience at Clemson very close to heart.

Any recent accomplishments?

I recently earned my Series 6 and 63 licenses and finished top 20 in the South with my job at Northwestern Mutual. But more important than all of that, I got engaged!

Do you have a great internship experience you’d like to share?

I did. I did the Northwestern Mutual internship in Greenville, SC for a year and then another year in Atlanta, GA. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I learned a ton about the real world and gained a lot of confidence.

What do you think prepared you the most?

A couple of things. I think God had my back the whole time, but specifically learning to live with the guys that I live with taught me a lot about life and communication and commitment. I think those tools will be on my tool belt for a long time. I also think my internship with Northwestern Mutual grew me a lot and prepared me for the real world.

Any words of advice to other students?

School is great, but there are a lot of things out there that you can learn from besides a textbook. Quit trying to find the perfect job that fits everything about your personality and go do things. Get an internship. Try to actually learn material in class and stop worrying about whether you got an 89.9 or a 90.