Industrial Engineering

Ask an Alum: Meet Philip Cook

Philip Cook, Class of 2010

Name: Philip Cook

Year Graduated: 2010

Degree from Clemson: B.S. Industrial Engineering

Philip also serves on Clemson University’s Board of Young Alumni for Industrial Engineering.

How did your experience at Clemson University help you find your first position after graduation? 

I went straight to graduate school after graduation from Clemson.

If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?

I would have focused more on my studies and taken in more of the Clemson experience, like clubs and special events.

What would you look for if you were in the position to hire new graduates from CU?

I would focus on communication skills and diversity of experiences. As a Clemson IE graduate, you will have more than enough technical skills to be successful in your first job. What is less obvious is how well you can relate with your co-workers. Your ability to see the story that is beyond the numbers will be important for your success.

What influenced your decision to attend your graduate school? Was it worth it?

I did attend graduate school. Knowing that I wanted to work in the Health Care industry, I needed to learn more about the American health care system and how I could effectively lead work in a sector that has only recently embraced engineers. I obtained a Master of Health Care Administration degree from UNC. It wasn’t just “worth it,” it was vital. That degree has opened doors for me that would not have been available without it.

How can we contact you?

Look me up on LinkedIn! I am always happy to connect with students.

What advice would you give to current IE students?

As young engineers, it is easy to focus on honing your technical skills. However, for most of us, our long term success will be determined by how well we communicate and build relationships. Unfortunately, there is not a class that really that teaches you how to do this. Fortunately, you attend a large, vibrant public university. Be intentional about taking in new experiences and spending time with people that have diverse backgrounds and perspectives.