Industrial Engineering

Raul Chavez-Negrete named Program Coordinator for the Master’s in Engineering in Industrial Engineering

Starting in August 2023, Dr. Raul Chavez-Negrete, DBA, MS, took on a position in Clemson IE as a Professor of Practice and the Program Coordinator for the Master’s in Engineering in Industrial Engineering Program. With his passion and background in business, Raul enjoys teaching combinations of business, management, and engineering subjects to his undergraduate students and in the master’s program.

“As an engineer, I was very curious to learn more about the business side of projects, so that is exactly what I teach. I really enjoy teaching future engineers in Clemson subjects that we would usually offer in an MBA, because those business aspects are really important in understanding project planning, supply chain management, logistics, and many other areas of operations management.”

Ever since he was a teaching assistant during his undergraduate education, Raul knew he was excited about teaching. After enjoying teaching in engineering and business programs, Chavez began developing programs in project management and supply chain management for universities, where he noticed how successful his programs were due to a combination of sound academic content and applicability to different types of industries and services.

“I really enjoy leading roles in higher education, and in the past, I used to be in manufacturing and banking, where I managed fixed assets and projects, and was able to lead quality management programs as well. I love combining teaching and some roles of leadership in higher education, so when this position came along at Clemson, I got very excited because I knew I could do the two things I loved the most: Teaching in the areas of supply chain, engineering economics, and aspects of business that apply to engineers. I also get to manage the Master’s in Engineering in Industrial Engineering, which has many aspects of the disciplines that I have always enjoyed teaching.”

Since coming to Clemson, he has been teaching Engineering Economics and Quality Management, the two subjects he likes the most. “As someone who has been at many different universities, it is so nice to see what an outstanding group of colleagues Clemson has, and how professors closely collaborate, bringing into the classroom experience an array of different academic backgrounds.”

His goals beginning at Clemson include creating new online programs, promoting the growth of the Master’s in Engineering in Industrial Engineering, and teaching for undergraduate and graduate programs.