Alumni Spotlight – Michael Garcia

April 11, 2023

Michael Garcia
Clemson University ’08

1. Favorite memory as an undergraduate student?

My favorite moment as an undergraduate student was my experience getting involved in student organizations. I absolutely loved being involved in the Clemson student marketing association, the student entertainment programming board, and the Clemson University Guide Association. These are where I met my closest friends throughout my time at Clemson.

2. How did Clemson Marketing prepare you for the real world?

Throughout my experience at Clemson, I learned lots about working on projects and how to work with others. The student organizations that I was part of were a huge part of my learning about leadership and also how to get things done through others. The marketing environment may have changed but the interpersonal skills I learned throughout college have persevered.

3. What should students be doing now to prepare for the future?

Internships are an absolutely critical element to understanding your future career interests and networking opportunities for the future. I was able to learn about two careers I was not interested in – both politics work and also agency work. As I reflect on my peers, those who had internships were most set up for success after graduation. This was either from the relationship building or the skills they learned during their internships.

4. What piece of advice would you give to college students?

Take every opportunity to connect with other student organizations to gain leadership experience and exposure to companies. The networking opportunity alone is awesome to just meet people within the industry. You never know when either of these will lead to a post-graduation job or a job 15 years later!

5. Is there anything you wish you had done differently during your time at Clemson?

I wish I had the opportunity to spend more time enjoying the facilities that the university provides. From spending more time out near the lake to the hiking and outdoor equipment available for rent. Clemson is a paradise! Make sure you take full advantage!!