Congratulations to all of the following awardees!
Sloan Nietert of Mount Pleasant, a mathematical sciences and computer science double major, has been selected for a Fulbright Award, a program that aims to increase understanding between citizens of the United States and citizens of other countries. Nietert will spend the next nine months in Hungary as he was selected for the one slot available to conduct research at the Alfréd Rényi Institute of Mathematics.
Professor Neil Calkin was awarded the Douglas W. Bradbury Award in recognition of his exemplary service to the Honors College. Professor Calkin was honored at the Honors College convocation. According to Bill Lasser’s remarks at the convocation, Professor Calkin is “an internationally recognized scholar, and a gifted teacher, who brings to his students his love of mathematics as both an art and a science. Over the past eight years Dr. Calkin has taught one or two Honors seminars every year—on subjects ranging from The Nature of Infinity to The Greatest Math Problems of All Time. He has also served tirelessly on the Calhoun Honors College Committee for many years.” Furthermore, one former student wrote, “Dr. Calkin was able to make complex mathematical problems approachable to students with little mathematical background, highlighting the beauty and wonder of mathematics for a wide audience.”
Huixi Li received the Graduate School’s Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award. Only two of these awards were made for the entire university.
Faculty and staff members in Mathematical Sciences won a lion’s share of the 2017-2018 College of Science awards:
– April Haynes received an Outstanding Staff Member Award
– Marilyn Reba received the Excellence in Student Engagement Award, and
– Christy Brown received the Excellence in Teaching Award
Within the department:
– Assistant Professor Shitao Liu has been chosen as the recipient of the Department of Mathematical Sciences Teaching Award for 2017-18.
– Professor Jim Brown has been chosen as the recipient of the Department of Mathematical Sciences Outstanding Service to Graduate Students Award for 2017-18.
Graduate Student Awards
– Drennon/Gabet Outstanding Graduate in Teaching Award – Huixi Li
– Clayton and Claire Aucoin Outstanding Graduate in Engagement Award – Garrett Dranichak
– Outstanding Graduate in Research Award – Mengying Xiao
– Outstanding Graduate in Citizenship Award – Todd Fenstermacher
– Outstanding Graduate in Teaching Assistant – Catherine Kenyon
Undergraduate Students Math Awards Spring 2018:
– Freshman Award – Anna Fox
– Freshman Award – Evan Haithcock
– Freshman Award – Laura Kate Reid
– Sue King Dunkle Award – Dora Yang
– Sophomore Award – John Rowe
– Sophomore Award – Biraj Dahal
– Sophomore Award – Graham Moore
– John Charles Harden Award – Sloan Nietert
– John Charles Harden Award – Jackson Wright
– John Charles Harden Award – Robert Melville
– John Charles Harden Award – Jacob Honeycutt
– Samuel M. Martin Award – Luna Bozeman
– Senior Award – Polly Payne
– Senior Award – Shannon Corcoran
– Senior Award – Sarah Kelly
The School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences is happy to announce we are accepting applications for a new Masters in […]
Our School celebrated the achievements of our top undergraduate students at our annual Undergraduate Faculty Awards Ceremony on April 13. These […]
Clemson Mathematical Sciences is excited to announce the following new new members of the department. Please join us in welcoming […]