Clemson Veteran Living Library: Matt Morris

April 14, 2021

MEET MATT MORRIS

Matt Morris is a mechanical engineering student graduating in December 2022. Matt is originally from Whittier, CA, and served 6 years in the Navy as a Machinist’s Mate.

Why did you join the military?

I joined the military because I honestly didn’t know what I wanted to be when I grew up. I couldn’t put myself or my family in a position to accrue college debt when I had no idea which degree I wanted to pursue, or what direction I wanted to go for a career. So, I joined the Navy to gain some life experience and maybe some insight on what career I really wanted to pursue. And it paid off; 10 years ago I would not have pictured myself in engineering and attending Clemson University (mostly because I didn’t know Clemson existed back then).

Why did you leave the military?

I left the military because I achieved the goals I set for myself, and it was time to move on to bigger, better things. I had goals that no longer aligned with being in the military, so I completed my service, was honorably discharged, and am now working towards my new goals and aspirations.

Comments