Chemistry Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Ramesh Dhakal

September 18, 2023

Where are you from?

I came from Nepal, a beautiful country and the home of the tallest mountain in the world, Mount Everest, to pursue my graduate degree at Clemson University.

Who was your research advisor and when did you graduate? 

Prof. R. Karl Dieter was my PhD research advisor and I graduated in the Spring of 2014.

What did you work on?

During my stay at Dr. Dieter’s group at Clemson, I worked on developing new synthetic methodologies, especially for synthesizing 1,2,3-trisubstituted cyclopropane derivatives and the regio- and stereoselective conjugate addition reaction to Michael and extended Michael substrates. I also got an opportunity to get involved in the collaborative research work with Dr. Pennington, Dr. Dominy, Dr. Arya and Dr. Whitehead groups to understand the crystallographic, computational and mechanistic studies of the several synthetic projects.

What are you doing now?

Currently, I am working as a Process R&D manager at Thermo Fisher Scientific in Florence, SC. In my current role, I am leading a group of talented scientists to develop and implement economic, green, and robust synthetic methodologies for the scale up manufacturing of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API). The synthetic routes leading to the APIs in medicines goes through a process of extensive adjustment and optimization over time to arrive at the final manufacturing route was. People like me and my team at Thermo Fisher have worked for several years to ensure that a robust manufacturing process is in place to ensure the quality and safety of APIs found in prescription and over-the-counter drugs. Thermo Fisher in Florence, SC is a hub for chemistry and chemical engineering graduates to support our program, and I would encourage Clemson graduates to consider joining our team!

What are your hobbies?

I like to watch sports (football, basketball, soccer) and of course Clemson Tiger games. In my leisure time, I like to go hiking with my beautiful wife and two kids.

What advice would you give a 1st year Ph.D. student?

Graduate school is a long journey, but I believe that you are making the best choice of your life.  Clemson’s chemistry department is equipped with all the necessary advanced infrastructure and has a very talented group of research faculty. As a first-year Ph.D. student, prioritize building a solid foundation in chemistry by engaging deeply with existing literature and seeking guidance from your professors, advisors, and peers. Develop effective leadership and time management skills to balance academic and personal life. Cultivate consistency and patient habits and be equipped to fight challenges and setbacks, as they are normal. Build strong networking with the academic community by attending conferences and leveraging collaborative initiatives with others to broaden your knowledge. Remember, a Ph.D. is a marathon, pace yourself and maintain a healthy work-life balance to sustain your motivation throughout the program and your well-being in your entire life.

What’s your favorite Clemson Moment?

As a graduate student at Clemson, my entire stay was phenomenal. I have several favorite memories around the premises like Saturday’s game, hiking around the campus, boating in the lakes etc. In particular, the pleasure of publishing my research work in scientific journals leading to my Ph.D. degree, which in fact shaped my career after graduation is something that I will always cherish.