Chemistry Major Profile – Cole Frank

September 25, 2023

Where are you from?

I am from Charleston, SC!

Why did you choose to major in chemistry?

I chose chemistry because of the love I had for the topic. Ever since my chemistry 1 class in high school, I have been super fascinated by the topic and wanted to pursue a degree in chemistry here at Clemson!

Are you involved in Research? Who is your PI? What are you working on?

I am not involved in research yet. However, I have plans to join Dr. Chouinard’s research group in the spring of 2024. His research focuses on the use of ion mobility mass spectrometry to quantify and identify various metabolomics, proteomics, and lipidomics.

What are your hobbies?

Some of my hobbies are playing rugby here at Clemson! I love to be on the water either fishing or cruising and I really enjoy watching football!

What advice would you give to a Freshman Chemistry major?

My main piece of advice for Freshman Chemistry majors is to find the enjoyment in the process of achieving the grades you desire for yourself. Studying and keeping up with the reports can be tiresome and draining, but it is important to remind yourself of the enjoyment chemistry can bring you and why you chose to be a chemistry major.

What’s your favorite Clemson Moment?

My favorite Clemson moment is when Gameday came to Clemson for the Clemson vs. NC State game. Gameday was such a cool experience and watching us win was even better!

What are your career goals after Graduation?

I have debated much about what I want to do after college, but I believe I want to pursue the pharmacological path once I graduate. The production of medicines and how certain medicines can affect the body is super interesting to me.