Clemson to host National Coming Out Week
By Shawn Knight,
Graduate Assistant for LGBTQ Community Development, M.Ed. Student, Counselor Education, Class of 2016
Clemson University will host the fifth annual National Coming Out Week from Oct. 5-11. Themed “Hand in Hand, We Support National Coming Out Week,” the university will hold a series of events for faculty, staff, students, and the community to come together and show their support of the LGBTQ+ community.
The events have been planned collaboratively by the Harvey & Lucinda Gantt Multicultural Center and the Clemson Gay-Straight Alliance.
“National Coming Out Week is a great opportunity for the Clemson Family to come show their support of the LGBTQ community, no matter how they identify.” said Courtney McKeive, Clemson Gay-Straight Alliance president.
The schedule of events include:
- Monday, Oct. 5: Krispy Kreme Donut Fundraiser, 9 a.m. – noon in the University Union Loggia
- Tuesday, Oct. 6: I’m Gay…and Religious: Speaker’s Bureau, 7 p.m. in McKissick Theatre. This panel will bring in people with different religious backgrounds and viewpoints to start the conversation about one of the most highly criticized identity intersections (religion and sexuality).
- Wednesday, Oct. 7: National Coming Out Day Festival 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on the North Green. Stop by at any point during the festival to grab a snow cone, take some pictures, play a yard game, and visit campus resources. Guests are also invited to place a handprint on a banner of support.
- Thursday, Oct. 8: Hot Wings & Hot Topics: Supporting Coming Out, 5 p.m. in Meeting Room A. This event will allow participants to talk informally about how they have been supported or supported others through their coming out process. And, of course, chicken wings are provided.
- Friday: Oct. 9, Ally Training 8:30 a.m – 12:30 p.m in the Stadium Suites classroom. Ally training is the staple LGBTQ+ education program at Clemson University. Many participants show their “graduation” through the Ally Sticker. Pre-register at clemson.edu/ganttreg
- Sunday, Oct. 10: Carpool to Atlanta Pride. The CGSA will coordinate rides to Atlanta to see the pride parade and festival. Follow them on Twitter @ClemsonGSA or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more on this.
For more information on this week of programming, please email Shawn Knight at email@example.com or call 864-656-3174.