Regulatory Services

The science behind the service: Megan Schumpert

Megan Schumpert
Megan Schumpert

Megan Schumpert began work in the Agricultural Service Laboratory as a chemist on October 18, 2021. She joins the Plant/Feed/Waste section of the lab, focusing on nutritional and chemical analyses of feed and plant samples.

Megan is a South Carolina native who grew up on a pine and cattle producing farm along the Saluda River in Saluda, S.C. Now she grows her own vegetables at home and especially likes hot peppers.

She obtained her B.S. degree from Clemson in Food Science & Nutrition and her M.S. from Arizona State in Healthcare Innovation.

Megan comes to Clemson with almost a decade of laboratory experience in healthcare facilities.

Here’s what Megan has to say about herself and her new job.

Why were you interested in this position?

I was looking for a new challenge and opportunities. This type of lab, being different from healthcare, provides a chance to get back to my true passion in a laboratory setting.

What do you like best about working at the ASL?

I love the science behind the service, and then knowing our services make such a meaningful impact on communities near and far. Also, the lab has great crew. Everyone is very smart and passionate about their job. It’s so encouraging and refreshing to be part of such a special team.

A favorite past-time activity?

Anything outside! I love running, camping, swimming, yard work, hanging out with my dog… pretty much anything!