Meet our summer interns

June 2, 2021

This summer, the Sonoco Institute is happy to have the assistance of two Clemson students working in our Advanced Print Technologies Lab and Package Prototyping Lab.

Tucker Nelson, Packaging Science Senior, is this term’s pressroom assistant under the leadership of Kenny Tucker, Print Lab Coordinator.

Tucker NelsonSonoco Institute (SI): What is your major? Any minors? What is your expected graduation date?

Tucker Nelson (TN): My major is Packaging Science with a Materials emphasis area. I plan on graduating December 2021.

SI: Are you taking any classes this summer?

TN: I just finished PKSC 4010 Packaging Machinery which was a May-mester class.

SI: Why did you choose the Sonoco Institute internship?

TN: I chose a Sonoco internship because I wanted to do a design focused internship. I completed my required co-op at Pratt Industries and saw the production side and learned a lot about the corrugated world, but wanted to learn other areas of packaging. I thought the flexo process would be nice to know, since all of our converting machines at Pratt were flexo.

SI: Why did you choose your degree and how do you feel this internship relates?

TN: I chose Packaging Science as my degree because I like designing anything and as a goal I would love to see things I make in stores, whether it be a label or package shape or a new way to package something. I started out as a mechanical engineering student but found that wasn’t the best fit for me. This internship relates because a lot of packaging relies on flexography to produce graphics. Labels, cups, film, etc. could all use flexo.

SI: What have you learned so far? What projects have you been working on?

TN: I have learned a lot about the research and development of a package. I have also learned how to make flexo plates, set up the machine and how to fine tune it so each stage is aligned properly.

SI: What do you hope to do after graduation?

TN: After graduation I hope to work in Charlotte working in design or material development.

Click here to connect with Nelson on LinkedIn.

_______________

Eliza Basel, Packaging Science Sophomore, is this term’s prototyping lab assistant under the leadership of Haley Appleby, Packaging Science lecturer.

SI: What is your major? Any minors? What is your expected graduation date?

Eliza Basel (EB): I’m a Packaging Science major with an emphasis in Graphics and Design. I will be graduating December 2023.

EB: I’m taking two classes this summer, one on ArtiosCAD and the other on SolidWorks.

EB: I chose this internship because I am excited to explore design in the prototyping lab. Both the flexibility and range of this internship has given me so many learning opportunities from everything ranging from design to production.

EB: I chose Packaging Science because it gives me the opportunity to express both scientific thinking and creative problem-solving. My internship allows me to work through the process with the guidance of a great mentor, Mrs. Appleby.

EB: Currently, I am working on a project for the Clemson Forever office which involves package design and production. We are beginning a project with Clemson Football to create textbook props which will showcase the Clemson All-Americans. I’m also about to begin working with Kenny Tucker and Tucker Nelson in the Advanced Print Lab on a sustainable secondary package redesign for a cocktail brand. Everyday I learn something new about running the machines in the prototyping lab which will undoubtedly help me as I begin Creative Inquiry projects in the fall, like PackExpo and Football Recruiting. Each project gives me an opportunity to improve my skills in design software like Adobe Illustrator and ArtiosCAD, as well as hands-on experience in an iterative design process.

EB: After graduating, I will gain experience in consumer packaged food packaging to better understand the process and develop insight to carry into a design firm where I can create brand packaging that centers consumer experience and sustainability.

Click here to connect with Basel on LinkedIn.

Sonoco Institute Events

• No events found