Art Faculty, Kathleen Thum Exhibits Work

August 20, 2013

Clemson University Assistant Professor of Art, Kathleen Thum, is exhibiting her drawings as a part of a three-person exhibition at  ROY G BIV Gallery, Columbus, Ohio.  ROY G BIV Gallery is a nonprofit art gallery located in the historic Short North neighborhood of Columbus, Ohio. Founded in 1989, ROY G BIV is known for presenting innovative contemporary art by emerging artists from around the world.

The exhibition will be on display from August 3, 2013 to August 31, 2013.

Kathleen Thum’s Artist Statement:

My drawings and paintings are based on various human physiological and psychological systems, which I depict through rendering abstract networks of forms, shapes, lines, marks and color. Like our internal anatomy, the structures in my works are linear, flowing, clustered, open, dense, intertwined, interpreting gravity, weight and tensions. The drawings and paintings evolve intuitively as I use color and layering to playfully create new imagery based on the fascinating and humorous inter-workings of our body functions and emotions. I often look at medical illustrations and diagrams, industrial factories and landscapes, and building systems to spark my imagination for marks and forms to use in my drawings and paintings. I observe and am fascinated with heating and cooling systems: plumbing pipes, ducts and valves in buildings and construction. These external networks performing similar functions as in our interior bodies. My interests lie in capturing the shifting of scale and function between exterior, macro, man-made formations and interior, micro, biomorphic configurations.

Located in the Short North Arts District of Columbus OH for 20 years, ROY G BIV is the longest running gallery in the neighborhood. The gallery is located on the corner of Starr and High.

997 North High Street
Columbus Ohio 43201
614.297.7694

Open

3-6 WED to FRI
1-5 SAT
AND BY APPOINTMENT