4-H News

Shooting Sports Program Highlight

Seventeen-year-old, Mt. Pleasant native, Jaycee Beckham received top honors as being selected one of three, Rookies of the Year, from Trap and Field Magazine.  She began shooting with the Wando Shooting Team and then migrated to the Partridge Creek Young Guns 4-H Shooting Sports Team where she could practice trap and skeet.

In July of 2020, she broke 25, 50, 75, and 100 straights at the South Carolina State Shoot, winning her multiple honors, including the High-Gun Trophy. Jaycee shoots with her father, who is also her coach.  She has learned from numerous other shooters in our state and says “shooting has taught me many things in life: focus, hard work, self-discipline, and patience.  It has given me the opportunity to be a mentor and leader to my younger teammates”.  Jaycee also told Trap and Field “I’ve made some great friends, who I’ll have for life through the shooting sports, and I love shooting trap”.

Jaycee will be attending Montreat College in North Carolina next year where she will compete with their sporting clay team. While at Montreat she will be studying Pre-Pharmacy with plans to go on to pharmacy school upon completion of her undergraduate degree. Along with her education, Jaycee plans to continue shooting to pursue her ultimate goal of one day shooting in the Olympics.

Rick Willey said “I am very proud of Jaycee for her accomplishments. Jaycee envelops the values of the 4-H program and is a tremendous role model for other youth. Her accomplishments are the result of hard work and dedication. Way to go Jaycee!”

Submitted by: Rick Willey, Extension 4-H Shooting Sports Specialist