Dr. Luther P. Anderson, 1926-2018 Professor Emeritus of Agriculture and Dean, he earned his PhD from the University of Georgia in 1968. Dr. Anderson served in WWII as a member of the U.S. Army during combat operations in Europe. He worked at Clemson University for 36 years, starting in the Extension Service in Horry County, later serving as department chair and Dean of the College of Agriculture before retiring in 1986. He was an artist and loved to cook for his grandchildren. He enjoyed sailing and spent 10 years traveling the Intracoastal Waterway along the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico with his wife, Jean.
Dr. Muriel Boyd Bishop, 1928-2018 Professor Emerita of Chemistry, she passed away on May 20, 2018. Dr. Bishop retired from the University in 1991 after many years of service. In her retirement, Dr. Bishop was a past president of the Clemson Lion’s Club and was active in her church serving on various committees, in the choir and teaching Sunday School.
Mr. Claire Omar Caskey, 1922-2018 Professor Emeritus of English, he earned his undergraduate degree at Appalachian State University and completed his postgraduate studies at Duke University and the University of North Carolina. Professor Caskey served as an Army Major in World War II. He taught a variety of English courses as Clemson University from 1948-1987. He enjoyed keeping in touch with many of his student after their graduation.
Dr. Alvon Creighton Elrod, Sr., 1928- 2018 Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering, he earned a BS and MS from Clemson College, followed by a PhD from Purdue University. A native of Walhalla, SC, he was a member of the Boy Scouts of America and rose to the rank of Eagle Scout. He would later serve as Assistant Scout Master of Troop 45 in Walhalla, SC. Dr. Elrod served in the Air Force for two years active duty as well as twenty-eight years of Reserve Duty, retiring at the rank of full Colonel. He taught Mechanical Engineering at Clemson University for thirty-seven years retiring in 1988 receiving a Clemson Fellow award. As an Air Force officer, leader, commander and engineer, he worked extensively with research, design and development of cutting-edge technology ranging from wind tunnels to jet engines. In retirement, Dr. Elrod enjoyed working in his yard, golf, restoring classic cars and traveling.
Dr. I. Dwaine Eubanks, 1938-2018 Professor Emeritus of Chemistry and Director of the Clemson University Emeritus College, he earned his PhD from the University of Texas at Austin. He started his career as a research chemist for duPont. Dr. Eubanks reached the rank of full professor at Oklahoma State University and was selected to direct the American Chemical Society Exams Institute. The Exams Institute was relocated to Clemson University, where he also served on the faculty. He retired from Clemson in 2003. Dr. Eubanks was an active and well-respected volunteer in many areas of chemical education. His passion for education and leadership was demonstrated through his service on three major American Chemical Society curricular projects. He was a lifelong learner and enjoyed many hobbies and activities including being an instrument rated pilot, sailing, travel, scuba diving, woodworking, graphic design, technology ornithology and architecture.
Dr. Donald Lee Fuhr, 1934-2018 Professor Emeritus of Educational and Organizational Leadership, he earned his PhD from the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Fuhr’s impact as an educator was seen in the success of his students who went on to become principals and superintendents. He was an acclaimed author of books on educational leadership and was often sought as a inspirational speaker. In his retirement, he enjoyed his Golden Retrievers and fishing the lakes of South Carolina especially Lake Jocassee. Dr. Fuhr also was a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Dr. Doreen Steiner Geddes, passed away March 19, 2018 Associate Professor Emerita of Communications, she earned her PhD from Pennsylvania State University. She retired from Clemson in 2009 after 21 years of service to the University. Dr. Geddes was a founding member and first chair of the department of communications, serving from 1995-2000. She continued to teach one course each semester.
Dr. William Edward Gettys, passed away August 15, 2018. Professor Emeritus of Physics, he retired from Clemson after 30 years of service. Together with Professors Fred Keller and Malcom Skove, he authored the widely adopted textbook Physics: Classical and Modern which has been translated into more than twenty languages.
Dr. Lawrence (Larry) Golan, 1938-2018 Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering, he earned his PhD in 1968 from Lehigh University. He was an instructor at West Virginia University and Lehigh University before joining Exxon Research and Engineering in 1968 where he worked until his retirement in 1986. In 1986, Dr. Golan became the Director of the South Carolina Institute of Energy Studies based at Clemson University. He retired from Clemson as Special Assistant to the Vice President of Research in 2005. Dr. Golan significantly contributed to the advancement of technology applications for industry benefits. He authored 34 articles, offered 13 short courses and organized numerous energy conferences and workshops. He was a lifelong athlete, competing in Masters Track & Field events well into his 70s. He also was an ardent gardener and woodworker.
Dr. Charles Claude King, passed away June 13, 2018 Professor Emeritus of Poultry and Livestock, he earned his doctorate in veterinary medicine from the University of Georgia. He served for 26 years in the US Air Force and retired as a Lt. Col. While in the military, he received the Air Force commendation medal, organizational excellence award, Vietnam service medal and the humanitarian service medal. After his military service, he served for 18 years with the Clemson University Livestock Poultry Health Division in Columbia, serving as the Director of the SC Meat-Poultry Inspection division. Dr. King was was active in animal and environmental protection, humanitarian welfare and American Indian Charities.
Dr. Robert Stansbury Lambert, 1920-2018 Professor Emeritus of History, he earned his PhD at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1951. In World War II, he served as first lieutenant, infantry, in the Army of the United States and was decorated with the Purple Heart. From 1956-1985, he was a professor of history at Clemson University and was department chair from 1963-1974. Dr. Lambert received several research grants including a National Endowment for the Humanities Bicentennial grant. Dr. Lambert’s book, South Carolina Loyalist in the American Revolution, was published in 1987 and reprinted by the CU Digital Press in 2010. He was community-minded and devoted his time to the Clemson United Methodist Church, Clemson Child Development Center, Clemson Community Care and the Democratic Party.
Dr. James Edward Matthews, 1927-2018 Professor Emeritus of Education and Dean, he earned his degrees from the University of Florida graduating with an EdD in 1949. He began his career in education in the St. Petersburg, Florida area as a principal. In 1971, Dr. Matthews began his career at Clemson University as Professor of Education and then served as the Dean of the College of Education from 1983-1988. While at Clemson he was very active in many professional organizations serving on the executive board of the SC Association of School Administrators, President of the SC Association of Teacher Educators and receiving the Outstanding Educator America Award in 1973. Dr. Matthews was a WWII US Army veteran where he served in the Philippines.
Dr. David D. Moyle, 1942-2018 Professor Emeritus of Bioengineering and Physics, he earned his PhD from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York. Dr. Moyle came to Clemson in 1971 to teach in the Biomedical Engineering Department. After leaving teaching for a period and opening a bookstore in Seneca, SC, he resumed his teaching career at Clemson in the Physics Department. He retired in 2004. In his retirement, Dr. Moyle enjoyed sailing, flying radio-controlled airplanes, model trains, playing the banjo and working the NY Times crossword puzzles.
Dr. Joseph Chester Mullins, 1931-2018 Professor Emeritus of Chemical Engineering, he received his BS in chemical engineering from Georgia Tech in 1954. After serving two years as an officer in the US Navy, he returned to Georgia Tech and received his MS and PhD both in chemical engineering. He came to Clemson in 1965 and retired in 2004. While at Clemson he served as Faculty Senate President (1987-1988) and was an assistant coach of the Clemson University’s men’s tennis team for several years. Joe remained an avid tennis player throughout his life and continued to support and donate countless coaching hours to local youth both at the high school and college level.
Dr. Edward Charles Murdock, passed away June 6, 2018 Professor Emeritus of Agronomy and extension weed specialist at Pee Dee Research and Education Center, Dr. Murdock retired from the university in 2003 after 32 years of service.
Dr. Thomas J. Oberdan, passed away March 18, 2018 Associate Professor Emeritus of Philosophy and Religion, he received a B.A. in philosophy from the University of Missouri at St. Louis before earning an M.A. in philosophy. Dr. Oberdan also earned a M.A. and PhD in history and philosophy of science from Indiana University in Bloomington. At Clemson, students in his science, technology and society classes knew him best as “Dr. O.” He first came to Clemson in 1990, as a visiting assistant professor teaching business ethics, introductory logic and philosophy of science. Dr. Oberdan wrote the book, “Science, Technology and the Texture of Our Lives” and numerous academic articles about the intersections between philosophy and science, technology and humanity, and the nature of scientific truth. In 2015, the National Science Foundation granted Oberdan a Scholars Award of $128,000 to pursue a research project on the origins of scientific philosophy involving the “Schlick Zirkel,” a group of mathematicians, physicists and philosophers that formed around physicist-turned-philosopher Moritz Schlick. He retired in 2017 after 27 years of service.
Professor Gordon Whitfield Patterson, 1938-2018 Associate Professor Emeritus of Architecture, he was a graduate of University of Arkansas and earned his Masters in Architecture from Clemson University. He retired in 2004 after 31 years of service to Clemson University.
Dr. William Walter “Bill” Pennscott, 1929-2018 Professor Emeritus of Education, he received his PhD in Counseling and Guidance from Indiana University. Dr. Pennscott dedicated 45 years of service to the field of education, beginning as an elementary school teacher and principal and continuing to serve the field as a university professor. He came to Clemson in 1969 and retired in 1995. He was an voracious reader, an avid runner and a dedicated White Sox fan. Dr. Pennscott was often thanked by former students for his positive direction, guidance and inspiration.
Professor George Merritt Polk, Jr., 1925-2018 Professor Emeritus of Architecture, he earned his master’s degree in Architecture from the University of Oklahoma. Professor Polk served as an Army Medic during WWII as well as practiced architecture for 25 years in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. While in Florida, he taught at Miami Dade College and served as chairman of the Broward County Planning Commission. Professor Polk came to Clemson University in 1977 and retired in 1989. He was an avid sailor and active with the Sierra Club of the Foothills. He sketched, designed and painted his was through life transforming personal and professional experiences into different artistic expressions. He left behind a legacy of creativity for family and friends.
Dr. Thomas Gilmer Proctor, 1933-2019 Professor Emeritus of Mathematical Sciences, he received his PhD from North Carolina State University. Dr. Proctor worked at Ingalls Shipbuilding Company as an engineer from 1956-1960. He was a teaching assistant at North Carolina State University from 1960-1965. Dr. Proctor came to Clemson in 1965 as an assistant professor and retired in 2005 as a full professor. He enjoyed traveling, hiking and music.
Dr. Carl Sidney Rudisill, 1929-2018 Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering, he earned his PhD from North Carolina State University. He proudly served his country in the United States Navy during World War II. Dr. Rudisill came to Clemson in 1965 and retired in 1988. He was an avid camper.
Dr. Margit Sinka, passed away October 28, 2018 Professor Emerita of Languages (German), she received her PhD from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Sinka retired in 2007 with 33 years of service, but continued to work part-time after she retired. Her vivacious spirit, intellectual generosity, nurturing attention, and power to inspire curiosity and critical thinking have made and will continue to make a life-altering impact on many. She was known throughout the world for her deep intellect, as an active member in a number of professional organizations, a renowned scholar of film and a beloved teacher whose door was always open.
Colonel Chester R. Smith, PhD, 1920-2018 Professor Emeritus of Management, he received his degree in Economics from the University of Virginia. Colonel Smith began his career in the Army in 1941 and served in the Pacific Theater during WWII. He was awarded the Purple Star. He retired a full colonel in 1970. Following his military career, he came to Clemson University where he retired in 1982 after 14 years of service.
Dr. Michael A. Taras, 1921-2018 Professor Emeritus of Forest Resources and Department Chair, he received his PhD in Wood Science from North Carolina State University. Dr. Taras served in the US Army Corps as a 1st Lieutenant twin engine pilot. He was employed as a Forest Products Technologist at the USDA, FS Forest Products Laboratory. Dr. Taras continued his research at the Southeastern Forest Experiment Station in Asheville, NC, Raleigh, NC and Athens, GA, retiring in 1970. He joined the faculty at Clemson University as a distinguished professor and was appointed department chair of the Department of Forestry. He retired in 1992.