Emeritus College

Hood, Willam (Mike)

Dr. Mike Hood speaking to a group about bees
Dr. Mike Hood, Professor Emeritus of Entomology, instructing a bee class

Dr. Wm. Michael Hood, Professor Emeritus of Entomology retired in 2013. He was extension/Research Apiculturist where he co-founded the South Carolina Master Beekeeper Program in 1995. He continues as an instructor in the programs certified and Journeyman levels.

Dr. Hood continues to publish and is an active volunteer in his retirement.

Published book titled “The Small Hive Beetle, Aethina tumida Murray
Pulisher: Northern Bee Books, UK, 140 pp.  ISBN 978-1-912271-07-8.
Until 1996, the small hive beetle range expansion was limited to the African continent. This all changed when small hive beetles were collected in Charleston, South Carolina in summer of 1996. This invasive honey bee pest is now found in five continents other than its native Africa. I conducted research on control of this new invasive honey bee pest for my last 15 years prior to retirement and published many publications on the small hive beetle.

I am currently writing another book titled “50 Great Stories About Bees.” My work as an extension Bee Specialist in support of the beekeeping industry for over 30 years offered me many great opportunities to meet some very interesting individuals who came from diverse backgrounds. I met these people simply because we had one common interest and that was working with bees which produced some bizarre and unpredictable situations that I have chosen to record and share through this book.

Volunteer Details:  He serves as Deacon at Concord Baptist Church in Anderson where he teaches adults Sunday School Classes and mentors young men in the church’s Radical Mentoring Program and is active in the church’s Men’s Ministry Program..