Rudolph A. Abramovitch, 1930 – 2013
Chair and Professor Emeritus of Chemistry and Geology, he was an award-winning researcher in organic chemistry. Born in Egypt and educated in London, he was an international figure in his field. Active in several professional organizations, he also held a Fulbright Fellow in France. He enjoyed traveling, music and sports.
Carl W. Ackerman, 1931 – 2013
Professor Emeritus of Animal Science, he held bachelors and masters degrees from Clemson. He began his career as a County Extension Agent and joined the state staff in 1962. He served 30 years in the U.S. Army Reserves, retiring as Colonel in 1991. An active member of the Clemson community, he was President and later district Governor for the Lions Club.
Joseph L. Arbena, 1939 – 2013
Professor Emeritus of History, he worked in higher education for 46 years. Much of his work was the study of Latin American music and sports. His research focused on understanding of sports and the concomitant rise of a nation’s identity. He was active in the Clemson community and enjoyed traveling.
Carol K. Bleser, 1933 – 2013
The Kathryn and Calhoun Lemon Distinguished Professor Emerita of History, she was the first female to hold an endowed position at Clemson. A graduate of Columbia University, her specialization was southern history. She was active in several historical societies and used her knowledge to help communities. She also served as a mentor to many young female faculty members.
Dee Lewis Cross, 1946 – 2014
Professor Emeritus of Animal Nutrition, he earned several patents for his work with pharmaceuticals that treated pregnant mares. Originally from Kentucky, he enjoyed flying, golf, the Clemson tigers, and telling a good story. He also enjoyed raising Simmental beef cattle and driving his tractor on his farm.
Ursula Ann Holahan, 1921 – 2013
Professor Emerita of Home Economics, she was a graduate of Cornell University and the University of Minnesota. She worked for The Good Housekeeping Institute of New York City and Cornell Extension Service before coming to Clemson in 1969 as a Textile and Clothing Specialist. She was an avid tennis player and traveled worldwide including three months of volunteer work in Nepal.
George Louis Kline, 1921-2014
Professor Emeritus of Philosophy, he received his PhD from Columbia University in New York. He served during WWII in the US Army Air Corps and he was a professor at Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania for 30 years. He was named the Milton C. Nahm Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at the College upon his retirement. Dr. Kline was an Adjunct Research Professor of the History of Ideas at Clemson and was an honorary member of the Zenkovsky Society of Historians of Russian Philosophy in Moscow. He authored several books on Russian Philosophy.
Lyndon L. Larcom, 1940 – 2014
Professor Emeritus of Physics and Microbiology, he held an adjunct professorship with the Medical University of South Carolina and was a Biomedical Fellow with the Greenville Hospital System. He also held a National Institute of Health Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Pittsburgh. While at Clemson, he was awarded two patents for cancer research and authored over 50 refereed journal articles.
William Henry Davis McGregor, 1927 – 2014
Dean and Professor Emeritus of Forestry, he returned to Clemson for his Bachelor Degree after serving in the U.S. Navy during WWII. Upon completion of his doctorate from Duke University in 1958, he began work with the U.S. Forest Service. He joined the Clemson faculty in 1960. He was an Elder at Fort Hill Presbyterian Church.
Robert W. McLellan, 1938 – 2014
Chair and Professor Emeritus of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management, he came to Clemson from Canada over 40 years ago. He served as Editor of the Journal of Leisure Research and in his spare time, refurbished old cars. Always a friend to a stray dog, he will be remembered for his loyalty and zest for life.
J. Henry Marvin, 1920 – 2014
Professor Emeritus of Textiles, he was a graduate of Clemson and a US Army veteran of WWII. Born in Colleton County, he served Clemson for 38 years. He authored a textbook, Textile Processing, Volume I, which was adopted by many secondary schools.
Kenneth Ray Murr, 1950 – 2013
Research Librarian Emeritus, Ken was originally from Maryville, Tennessee. He enjoyed science fiction, jewelry making, and working with the Boy Scouts. As the time of his death, he was serving on the Emeritus College Advisory Board.
Richard B. Norman, 1933 – 2014
Professor Emeritus of Architect, he came to Clemson in 1976. A lover of art and architecture, he traveled the world many-fold enjoying his passion. Originally from Chicago, his area of expertise was the theoretical foundation of color and design.
Dennis L. Placone, 1948 – 2014
Professor Emeritus of Economics, he taught economics at Clemson for 37 years. He also served as Director of the Center for Economic Education and was known for his passion for working with students. Originally from Pittsburg, he spent his career at Clemson. He was a member of the Kiwanis Club and Central Presbyterian Church.
Linda Louise Redmann, 1945 – 2014
Professor Emerita of Family and Youth Development, she was a residential housing specialist with the Cooperative Extension Service. Originally form North Dakota, she began her career teaching at the North Dakota School for the Deaf and Blind. She came to Clemson in 1979. She was a member of several honor societies and served as President of the American Association of Housing Educators.
Charles Franklin Risher, 1926 – 2013
Professor Emeritus of Poultry, he was an extension poultry specialist in York county and a professor in the poultry department. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII and graduated from Clemson in 1953. Born in Clio, South Carolina he was active in the state and national Wild Turkey Federations.
Leon Roswal, 1924 – 2013
Director and Associate Professor Emeritus of Nursing, he retired in 1983 with 30 years of service to Clemson University. He also served his country in the U.S. Army during WWII. He was originally from Alabama and was living in Jacksonville, Alabama at the time of his death.
Absalom “Ab” W. Snell, 1924 – 2014
Director and Professor Emeritus of Agricultural Engineering, he graduated from Clemson in 1949 and later became chair of the Department of Agricultural Engineering and eventually Assistant Director of the Agriculture Experiment Station. He served in WWII as a pilot and retired as a Lt. Colonel in the U.S. Army Air Force Reserves. He was a frequent face at College events.
Myrle L. Swicegood, 1924 – 2014
Assistant Director and Professor Emerita of Home Economics, she spent her career with Cooperative Extension Service starting as a County Extension Agent in North Carolina. She received many awards and recognitions and was very active in her community. She designed a literacy education program in North Carolina which later became a Governor’s initiative.
Richard F. “Dick” Wheeler, 1920 – 2013
Head and Professor Emeritus of Animal Science, he was from Saluda, S.C. and a graduate of Clemson. His Ph.D. was from the University of Illinois. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corp during WWII and retired as a Colonel in the U.S. Air Force Reserves.
Alan Joseph Winters, 1944 – 2014
Professor Emeritus of Accounting, he held faculty positions at Louisiana State University and the University of South Carolina prior to coming to Clemson. He was born in Miami and educated in Louisiana. He was a veteran of the Vietnam War.