Dr. Hassan Behery, 1927-2015 Professor Emeritus of Textiles, he was instrumental in establishing the Graduate Program in Textiles at Clemson University. Born in Egypt and educated in London, he was an international figure in his field and responsible for developing and improving Textile Colleges throughout the world. Dr. Behery was awarded Egypt’s highest Research Award as well as the Highest Educational Award from that country. He retired form Clemson in 2001.
Dr. Eugene Harlan Bishop, 1933-2015 Department Chair, Associate Dean and Alumni Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering, born in Mississippi he received his degrees from Mississippi State University and University of Texas. Dr. Bishop was a highly decorated professor earning the Alumni Master Teacher Award, the Governor’s Distinguished Professor Award and the Distinguished Engineering Fellow Award (MSU). He held one patent for a cooling apparatus as well as had several publications. He retired in 1995 and enjoyed golf, painting, traveling, fishing and doing daily crossword puzzles.
Dr. Ashby “Bud” Bodine, II, 1948-2016 Professor Emeritus of Animal and Veterinary Science, he worked at Clemson University for over 45 years. He remained strongly and lovingly dedicated to excellence in teaching at Clemson. Among his many accomplishments, Dr. Bodine received the Alumni Master Teacher Award; the Class of ’39 Faculty Award; the Gamma Sigma Delta Outstanding Teacher Award; the National Scholars Program Award of Distinction; and the Outstanding Teacher Award from the National Association for Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture. He was instrumental in the creation and promotion of the Creative Inquiry undergraduate research program at Clemson University.
Francis Alvin Bosdell, 1919-2015 Professor Emeritus of Teaching and Learning, was born in Abbeville, SC and was a graduate of Clemson University. He served our country in WWII. He spent his career across South Carolina as the district superintendent of industrial education and retired from the SC Department of Education at Clemson University as the state director of teacher recertification for vocational schools. He was an umpire for SC High School League, NCAA and national softball tournaments. He was inducted into the SC Fast Pitch Softball Hall of Fame and was an avid golfer.
Thomas B. Efland, 1924-2015 Associate Dean and Professor Emeritus of Textile Sciences, he was born in Efland, North Carolina and received his degree from North Carolina State University. He served in the US Army Air Corp during WWII and taught at Blemont Tech in North Carolina before coming to Clemson as a J.E. Sirrine Foundation Professor in Textiles where he retired after 35 years at Clemson University. Professor Efland was well known in his field and was often a called upon as a consultant. He and his wife travelled extensively while he continued to share his expertise throughout the world and the United States.
Dr. Geraldine Labecki, 1918-2015 Dean and Professor Emeritus of Nursing, she was born in Brooklyn, NY and attended Hartford Hospital School of Nursing, Columbia University and Vanderbilt University. In 1963, she received an offer from Clemson to start a baccalaureate degree program in nursing in which she raised $3.5 million and in 1965 she was named the first woman collegiate dean, Dean of Clemson University’s School of Nursing. She retired in 1980 to Connecticut.
Dr. John J. “Jack” McLaughlin, 1926-2015 Professor Emeritus of English, he was born in Philadelphia, PA and was a veteran of WWII where he was part of the Liberation Army of the Philippines in which he received a Bronze Star and many other commendations for his service. Dr. McLaughlin taught at Clemson University from 1968 until his retirement in 1991. He the recipient of the Faculty Research Award, among other honors. An accomplished writer, his biography of Thomas Jefferson and the building of Monticello has been used to train the guides at Monticello. In his retirement, he continued to publish, was an avid gardener specializing in roses and loved to cook.
Dr. Richard M. Reese, 1941-2015 Department Chair and Professor Emeritus of Marketing, during his 25 year tenure he was instrumental in developing both the MS and BS in marketing degree programs. During his time as Chair of the Department the Marketing major grew from a few hundred students to well over 1000, making it the second largest degree seeking major on campus during his tenure. He lent his expertise as an educator as well as to numerous industries and organizations as a marketing consultant. He loved fishing, water sports and meeting friends at his favorite beach to snap photos of the sunrise.
Dr. Robert W. Snelsire, 1933-2015 Professor Emeritus of Electrical and Computer Engineering, he received his degrees from Bethany College and Carnegie Melon University. He served Clemson University for 31 years and retired in 1998. He was instrumental in in establishing the PEER Program at Clemson University.
Dr. Robert Francis Testin, 1935-2015 Department Chair and Professor Emeritus of Food, Nutrition and Packaging Science, he received his degrees from the University of Detroit, the University of Pittsburgh and University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. During his college years and after graduating, he worked several years in the corporate world before coming to Clemson University in 1987 where he helped to establish the Packaging Science program. He retired in 2005 and settled in Florida where he was an active member of the Knights of Columbus, his church and served as a consultant for the Aluminum Association and The Institute of Packaging Professionals. He was known for his quick wit and kind nature.
Dr. Carlton W. Ulbrich, 1932-2015 Professor Emeritus of Physics, he was born in Connecticut and received his degrees from the University of Connecticut. He joined the physics faculty at Clemson University in 1966, where he taught and did research in radar meteorology and rainfall measurement continuing his sponsored research until 2005. He retired in 1993 and in 1997 he was honored as a fellow of the American Meteorological Society. He was an avid sailor and loved sports, cars, photography, building furniture and playing the trumpet. An active member of the community, he is remembered as gentle soul with a quick wit, generous with his time and resources, who lived life to its fullest.
Dr. Edward A. Vaughn, 1940-2015 Department Chair and Professor Emeritus of Materials Science and Packaging, received his degrees from Lynchburg College and the Institute of Textile Technology. He joined Clemson University in 1966 as well as earned his PhD from the University of Manchester in England. While at Clemson he served as Department Chair and retired in 2005. He continued to teach and conduct research throughout his retirement serving as a consultant and educator for INDA in which he received a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2007. He was active in the community and is remembered fondly by all who knew him.