Emeritus College

Kunkel, Beth

Dr. Beth Kunkel, Professor Emerita of Food Science and Human Nutrition, retired in 2011. In her retirement, she has continued her work with nutrition. Her many activities are listed below:

Published Writing Details: Served as a co-author on a systematic review of the literature on effects of consumption of foods produced with genetic engineering technology on human health.  It should be published early 2018 and will accompany the evidence analysis project on the same topic for which I also served as co-author.

Advising Details: Has served as advisor for Slow Food Clemson University.  One of their major activities is to source, prepare and host a community meal prepared using the Slow Food principles of Good, Clean and Fair.  I serve as a resource for the preparation and service of this monthly meal.

Volunteer Details: I serve as chapter leader for Slow Food Upstate and market manager for the Slow Food Upstate Earth Market, the only certified Earth Market in the US.  I was a sponsored delegate to Terra Madre Salon del Gusto in Italy and Slow Food Nations in Denver.  I also volunteer with the Clemson Area Food Exchange and with Crop Improvement unit in PSA on a project saving seeds from the Bradshaw seed collection.  I have also helped to start a community garden at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church.