Senior Spotlight: Spring Interns

April 19, 2022

Four out of our seven interns working in the Sonoco Institute this semester are seniors. With graduation in sight, we connected with these students to hear about their Clemson experiences and plans for the future!

These Seniors, Sarah Cordes, Pierce Hall, Ashley Kirk and Rebekah Pereira are all packaging science majors graduating in 2022! Sarah, Pierce and Ashley are interns in our advanced print technology lab and Rebekah is an intern in our advanced package prototyping lab.

Sonoco Institute (SI): Why did you choose the Sonoco Institute Internship?

Sarah: I chose the Sonoco Institute Internship because I really wanted more experience in the graphic and printing side of the packaging world. I also knew this internship would involve a lot of hands-on work, which is my favorite method of learning.

Pierce: I chose this internship because I wanted to learn more about the flexographic side of packaging, because it is not something they teach us a lot about in Packaging Science.

Ashley: I wanted to do this internship because I thought it would give me a chance to gain valuable hands on experience while learning more about the Flexo Industry.

Rebekah: I chose this internship because during my co-op with TRESemme I worked a lot with plastics and bottle production. I wanted to learn more about paperboard and corrugate in packaging, so I applied for this position with hopes of learning more about this space.

SI: Why did you choose Packaging Science as your major?

Sarah: Honestly, I chose Packaging Science as my major because it sounded different. Then, once I took PKSC 1010 and learned about everything that goes into packaging (design, mathematics, chemistry, etc.), I knew this was the major for me!

Pierce: I chose my major because I have always been passionate about the creative designs and graphics that go into certain packaging. I also wanted to have a more technical background when it comes to packaging.

Ashley Kirk

Ashley Kirk, Senior Packaging Science Major

Ashley: I chose to major in packaging science because it combines math, science, and being creative while giving me the opportunity to make a positive impact on the world through packaging experiences.

Rebekah: Initially, I applied to Clemson as an Engineering major, yet when I came and toured my tour guide had told me about the Packaging Science program here at Clemson by informing me that Clemson students helped create the Oreo resealable package. On my first day of orientation I decided to switch majors from Engineering to Packaging Science! I guess you could say that the Oreo example truly swayed my decision making.

SI: What has been your favorite packaging project?

Sarah: My favorite packaging project has been creating a “golf subscription box” with different items inspired by the Heritage Classic Golf Tournament. This project really helped me see the entire creative process that goes into producing a marketable and functional package and introduced me to the machinery and software that are involved in this process as well.

Pierce: My favorite packaging project has been the Peaches Creative Inquiry I am currently in, where we are researching how to ripen and store peaches and relay this information to consumers to Titan Farms’ peach packaging.

Ashley: My favorite packaging project has been my senior design project, where I am working with Newell brands and a team of 2 other Clemson seniors to eliminate the expanded polystyrene in their packages for their X-acto Paper trimmers. I enjoy this project because it gives me real world experience working to make a package more environmentally friendly.

Rebekah: My favorite packaging project was the 48hr repack extracurricular project I have worked on. I designed a package for Dunkin Donuts to-go hot coffee. This project took the entirety of the 48 hours, in this project I learned how to closely work with my team, develop and design a prototype, create graphics for products, and learn how to create a video presentation for our product.

SI: What do you hope to do after graduation?

Sarah: After graduation, my hope is to find a career focused on the testing and development of different materials. I would love to one day work in either the food, cosmetic, or pharmaceutical industry where I can make a real impact on the world of packaging and advocate for sustainability within the packaging industry.

Pierce: I hope to work in research and development for a food and beverage company or some type of project management role within the same industry.

Ashley: After graduation, I hope to land a career in package design and development where I can make a positive impact on consumers.

Rebekah: After graduation in the fall I hope to work in consumer goods! My dream packaging job will be to work in cosmetics and luxury packaging in New York City.

SI: What advice would you give to underclassmen?

Sarah: Take every opportunity you can get! Whether it’s networking for a potential career or participating in school events, get involved in some way to make your college experience a lot more memorable.

Pierce Hall

Pierce Hall, Senior Packaging Science Major

Pierce:  My biggest advice would be to get involved with some of the design competitions and creative inquiries that are available throughout your four years. These projects have been the most interesting things that I have been a part of.

Ashley: I would tell underclassmen to learn as much as you can and participate in new things! My favorite way of doing that is by participating in competitions like PackJam and 48 Hour Repack because you get to meet new people and think independently and creatively.

Rebekah: Some advice I would give to underclassmen would be to make sure to get to know your professors and your peers! Packaging is such a small world, you will be running into these folks for the rest of your career! It helps to get involved in CIs and the Packaging Science Club!

Sonoco Institute Events

• No events found