AdobeMAX 2017 in Las Vegas, NV

November 6, 2017

AdobeMAX Day 1

Excited on Day 1 for AdobeMAX!

Story and photography by Margaret Whiston, Mary Alexander, and Robert Myers

AdobeMAX is a dream come true for creatives all over the world. The conference hosts numerous keynote speakers and sessions that inspire, encourage, and challenge you to learn new skills, experiment with different styles and techniques and to explore your creativity. This past October, three students were chosen to represent Clemson University’s Graphic Communications department in Los Vegas, Nevada for the 2017 conference. Margaret Whiston, Mary Alexander, and Robert Myers are all students in the Digital Media Design class taught by Jeff Kallin, Associate Director of Creative Media, Clemson Athletics. The conference was a chance for the students to build upon their classroom knowledge of Adobe programs and to network with potential employers and influential leaders in various industries.

AdobeMAX video boards

The graphics boards at AdobeMAX during the keynotes were awe inspiring.

Throughout the conference, the students and the two faculty members that accompanied them, Assistant Professor Dr. Erica Walker and Jeff Kallin, were exposed to an overwhelming amount of information. There were dozens of sessions each day that covered topics such as lettering, photography, animation, UX and UI design, and entrepreneurship.

As Mary Alexander states, “The whole time I was there, I acted like a sponge; absorbing everything that was happening around me.”

The students were given the opportunity to attend as many sessions as they could fit within their schedule through their Adobe MAX student passes. They journaled their experiences and shared their favorite sessions.

Margaret Whiston:

Chris Orwin’s session Authentic and Awesome People Pictures reinvigorated my love for photography and opened my eyes to a new way of truly seeing people. His perspective on capturing the rawness of a person’s true self and exposing their personality through a camera lens was inspiring. Once a college professor, Orwin was an entertaining speaker who presented an engaging session filled with humorous jokes and a wealth of information. From techniques about shooting with different lighting conditions to optimal camera settings to how to interact with your subjects, he was able to provide each attendee with some new tidbit of knowledge. Because the pro photographer was so genuine and passionate about his topic, I was engrossed with every word that he said. After his session, I’m inspired to pick up my camera and capture the world with fresh eyes.

Mary Alexander:

I went to a session that was about branding from end to end. This session was led by James Sommerville, who is one of the VPs of Global Design for the Coca-Cola Company. He spoke about how the Coke branding strategy has evolved over time, and showed many examples of how they have given the company it’s character. It was really cool to hear from someone so experienced and passionate in this field. As a designer, I liked hearing about their processes for generating ideas and everything that goes into what they do. I even got the chance to speak with him after the session! This session was awesome because it was interesting information coming from someone who is highly respected and knowledgeable.

Rob Myers with Aaron Draplin

Student, Rob Myers with Aaron Draplin at AdobeMAX

Robert Myers:

My favorite session that I attended was actually my very first session that I went to taught by Aaron Draplin. Aaron Draplin is a well-known graphic designer from Portland, Oregon who has done designs for Nike and Patagonia just to name a few of his clients. The title was “Things That Have Nothing To Do With Graphic Design” an amazing title that instantly intrigued me. Throughout the session Draplin shared his life story, what motivates him to create and design, his family, and the ups and downs of the industry. The point of his session was to show how his experiences and different things in life that we may experience that have nothing to do with graphic design, actually do. They inspire our creative styles, how we design and our passion projects.

The students took away more than just new knowledge and inspiration from the conference. They also were able to collect a number of new connections through networking opportunities. One of the major events of the conference was the MAX Bash hosted Thursday evening, which featured food trucks, fun activities, and live entertainment from Mark Ronson, known for the song Uptown Funk, and Saint Motel. Students were able to speak with Adobe representatives, Clemson alumni, Arizona State University representatives, and others in a casual environment.

Overall, the conference was an incredible opportunity for students. As Robert Myers states, “It’s one thing to hear someone say that they had a once in a lifetime experience, but to experience it yourself is truly amazing.”

Read more about the Adobe MAX sessions offered this year

Links to the students’ individual reflections:

Learn more about Clemson University’s Graphic Communications program

Upcoming College of Business Events