Coast to coast: A trip to AdobeMAX

October 31, 2018

Last week we were fortunate enough to go to AdobeMAX through the Graphic Communications program! This year’s MAX event was held in Los Angeles and featured hundreds of creative individuals and brands. Along with exploring around Los Angeles, we were able to be a part of an amazing conference where we learned about new industry-related technology, as well as be challenged and inspired. Two students, Weston Sanders, and Paul Johnson were joined by Assistant Professor Dr. Erica Walker were consistently amazed by all that Adobe had to show, and by the incredible community floor that was full of remarkable booths from large brands to exceptional creators. We were able to network with other students, Clemson alumni, educators, and professionals; hear their stories, and share ideas.

Weston’s take:

Printing. Typography. UX and web development. Social media. Photography. Illustration. Videography. Business relations. Augmented reality. Graphic design. Branding. Animation. Packaging and product design. Freelancing. AdobeMAX really had it all.

One of the biggest takeaways I had at were the sessions and keynotes. At MAX, you could choose from a plethora of different sessions to hear from industry professionals and learn a variety of creative industry know-how’s. This included exploring the new capabilities of the 2019 Creative Cloud update, advanced tips and tricks, how to manage project workflows, and how to operate creative businesses and work with clients. Some of the session speakers I got to meet and listen to included Ade Hogue, Aaron Draplin, Jolby and Friends (Josh Kenyon and Colby Nichols), Sergei Prokhnevskiy, Mike Rigby, and Christine Steele.

Aaron Draplin is one of today’s greatest graphic designers and during his session titled, “The One That Got Away and More” he went through all of the mishaps, retired and unused logos, and other “flops and duds” through his career. He explained that there is so much that goes into any sort of project, whether it be a logo, making a video, or producing a print. With that, it is always important to look back at the little things (the failures even) that made it all happen and appreciate them. Another session I really enjoyed was Sergei Prokhnevskiy’s “Broadcast-Style Graphics for Every Type of Video” where I was blown away by his mastery over Adobe After Effects as a motion graphics wizard. Working as a motion graphics producer for Fox Sports, and through his own business, Ukramedia, I could tell how passionate Sergei was about creating graphics. The tricks he showed us that would help “sell” animations, and the ways to take them to the next level was really eye-opening for me. As a person that loves to create, sessions like these left me with ideas for future projects and an inspiration to learn more.

Additionally, during the MAX keynotes, we got to hear from creatives like legendary photographer Albert Watson, musician Questlove, and filmmaker Ron Howard. Each of these talks focused on what creativity actually is, and how we can utilize it to shape our visions and bring them to life. I would highly recommend watching them, and you can do so here.

To finish out the event, we had MAX Bash. Taking place in the Banc of California Stadium, MAX Bash was an awesome get-together for all the attendees filled with food, activities, art displays, and a live concert from Beck!

I had an incredible time at AdobeMAX, and I’d like to thank Dr. Walker and the GC department for letting me be a part of it this year!

Paul’s Take:

Max was insane. It was 100%, unbridled, free-base creative inspiration.

My name is Paul Johnson and I’m a senior Graphic Comm major who was lucky enough to attend the 2018 AdobeMAX conference in LA. This time last year, I was scrolling through pictures that a few of my classmates had taken from the 2017 conference in Las Vegas. At the time I had never heard of AdobeMAX, but when I saw the pictures and watched the videos, it became my goal to experience it for myself. Now, having been back on campus for a week now, I’m still trying to soak it all in.

In the grand scheme of things, AdobeMAX is a celebration of creativity. Not only is it a celebration of creative methods, but also a celebration of the relationship we have with our craft. This year, the schedule was full of incredible keynote speakers, all of which gave their insights into their respective industries. Albert Watson, one of the world’s most celebrated portrait photographers, told his humbling story of how his photographic style led him to shoot with such models as Alfred Hitchcock, Tupac Shakur, Madonna, and Prince. Drummer and Producer Questlove teamed up with Youtuber/Comedian Lilly Singh for a casual panel talking about their creative development and how they share their creative success with the next generation of designers and artists. The final talk and my personal favorite was given by Academy Award-winning director, actor, and producer Ron Howard. On stage, he delivered a message on to be a charismatic team leader through a slew of hilarious and moving anecdotes about his time on the Andy Griffith show as a kid all the way up to his most recent release in Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Adobe MAX on Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2018 in Los Angeles. (Jordan Strauss/AP Images for Adobe)

Aside from the great keynotes, Adobe also drop the curtains on the new developments they’ve made on their flagship products over the past year. Artificial Intelligence has become such a massive part of recent technological developments and Adobe has taken full advantage. Adobe incorporated their Sensei AI into many of their new product features, such as intelligent edge detection in Photoshop or content-aware auto cropping in InDesign. For a complete list of these new features, visit max.adobe.com.

As the conference came to a close and I sat there thinking, “there is no way this can get any crazier.” It did. Adobe signed off another great Max conference with the Max Bash 2018, a sort of after party to celebrate all the great moments from the previous few days. Held in the courtyard between the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and the all-new Banc of California Stadium, this bash included art installations, interactive games and photo booths, massive light fixtures, and of course, more food than I could figure out what to do with. The night ended with an incredible hometown performance by modern rock legend, Beck. Being within eight feet of the stage, it’s needless to say my ears are still recovering.

All in all, this conference was such an inspiration. I met a lot of great faces, rub shoulders with some incredible creators, and learned things that have helped shape new personal goals. Even if my first AdobeMAX conference was also my last, it will always be an experience I’m more than grateful for.

Comments