The Spring Island Trust (SIT) is seeking a broadly trained educator-naturalist with familiarity with the natural history of the coastal plain of the southeastern USA, and with experience delivering high quality educational programming for a variety of audiences, to serve as an Environmental Educator. The ideal candidate will have strong organizational skills, experience with citizen science initiatives, and will be a gifted educator who is comfortable working with audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
Spring Island is a unique and beautiful place to work! The island is a 3,000 acre sea island located within the Port Royal Sound, near Beaufort in the picturesque Lowcountry of South Carolina. It has a diversity of habitats ranging from maritime forests to fire-managed pine savannas, as well as early successional fields, and is surrounded by an additional 3,000 acres of tidal marsh. Within this mix of habitat nestles a low-density residential community currently including approximately 350 homes dispersed throughout the Island. The SIT was established in 1990 and is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. The mission of the SIT is to preserve and protect Spring Island’s environment and cultural history, providing education, expertise, and leadership in the conservation of natural resources throughout the Lowcountry. See www.springislandtrust.org for more information.
The Environmental Educator is responsible for delivering a variety of nature education programs. The SIT runs a nature center with exhibits (including live animals) that is a hub for education of the residents, families, and guests on Spring Island. We also have access to dozens of miles of walking and driveable trails through the 1,000 acres of nature preserves. The Environmental Educator will present programming based in the nature center and within the nature preserves, including both formal (e.g., advertised classes and series, and a camp for kids) and informal interpretation (e.g., guided hikes, and impromptu interactions with nature center visitors).
One of SIT’s key outreach efforts is the Master Naturalist program, teaching educators across the community – as well as our island’s residents – about the natural history of the Lowcountry. This position works as part of a three-person team that teaches the course, prepares the course material, and manages logistics. The position also involves communicating natural history information to a variety of audiences, through written contributions, short informational videos, field trips, and presentations. There is a great opportunity to expand volunteer opportunities on Spring Island as well as citizen science programming for the region as well.
The impact of this position extends across the Lowcountry of South Carolina, and has the potential to impact natural history instruction across the region.
The SIT employs seven full time and one part time employee. Many of the organization’s activities are collaborative in nature, and the successful applicant for the Environmental Educator position will need to thrive in a teamwork environment.
· Provide programs for island residents, including formal programs, field trips, and informal teaching opportunities
· Master Naturalist program team member, including coordinating logistics, recruiting and communicating with participants, participating as one of the course instructors, and creating educational materials
· Coordinate the annual kids summer camp
· Coordinate local citizen science projects
· Create informative natural history videos and written articles
· Serve as liaison to Lowcountry Master Naturalist Association
· Additional responsibilities may be assigned, and may include assistance in annual fundraising activities, maintenance of websites, and exhibit creation in the nature center
Skills & Qualifications
· A degree in biology, education, or a related field
· Strong knowledge of the natural history of the southeastern USA, including identification, ecology, and conservation. A working knowledge of plants is especially valued.
· At least three years of relevant experience, including:
· Delivering educational programs for people of all ages and backgrounds
· Demonstrated teaching capabilities (including keeping things fun for participants!)
· Ability to work both independently and collaborating with others
· Strong communication skills, both oral and written, with varied audiences
· Experience working in a team setting
· Strong organizational skills
· Eagerness to expand their knowledge of Lowcountry natural history
· Comfort with technology, including typical software (Microsoft Office and Adobe products)
· Experience with citizen science initiatives
· Experience coordinating volunteer groups and maintaining informative websites is a plus.
· May require extended times in the field, including during hot, humid, buggy summer days
· Requires physical dexterity, including walking on uneven terrain off trails, and the ability to lift 50 pounds
· Involves some weekend, evening, and holiday commitments
The starting salary will be $48,000 or greater, depending on experience. Spring Island Trust provides competitive benefits after completion of a 60-day (health insurance) and six-month (retirement) period.
To apply, please submit: a cover letter that highlights your interest in this position, your relevant experiences, and your experience working in a team setting; a resume/CV; and the contact information for three references. Submit your application materials – preferably as a single PDF document – to email@example.com
Review of applications will begin in mid-November. The start date is flexible, but we hope to have someone join our team as soon as possible (no later than 01 February 2024).
Black & Veatch have employment opportunities throughout the United States, however specifically Greenville, Columbia, Charleston or Atlanta in the southeast. […]
For more information and to apply, visit: https://www.richlandcountysc.gov/Home/Careers Sustainability Planner Location: Richland County Administration Building, Columbia, SC 29204 Department: Planning Division: […]
The Town of Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina is seeking qualified, experienced applicants for its newly created position of Director of […]