Follow Up Friday

November 10, 2023

Cohort Update

Our second annual QM Cohort is making great progress, having recently completed the Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR) workshop. The workshop provided participants with a strong understanding of the QM Rubric and review process, and inspired updates to their own course design. While the workshop is intensive and challenging, participants shared that they appreciated the detailed feedback provided by our facilitators. 

Here are some of the specific takeaways shared by the Cohort:

“I learned how much better a course can be when the instructor carefully considers the assessments and how they align with the CLO/MLOs [course learning objectives/module learning objectives].”

“I learned about how to inspect the accessibility of my LMS pages, and how to use the hierarchy of the headings to make my course more accessible to all kinds of learners.”

“I am pleasantly surprised by the expectation that reviewers are asked to be specific, thoughtful, and balanced in their reviews.”

“I gained a better appreciation for why it is important to be explicit in showing the connection between learning objectives and learning activities.” 

“I realized that changing a course for the better is certainly feasible and can happen over a series of ‘manageable’ and ‘traceable’ steps.”

“I learned so many things that I want to implement… When I looked at the sample course, I also saw many nice features in Canvas that I don’t use, so I think I’d like to become even more familiar with some of the Canvas features that I don’t use every day.”

Next up:

All QM Cohort participants are submitting their courses for an internal QM review. Their courses will be reviewed by our team of Certified Peer Reviewers who are also current instructors. We are excited to dig in, particularly as the Cohort represents a variety of departments at Clemson. 

The 2023-2024 Cohort:

Chelsea McKelvey, Lecturer, English  

Farhang Forghanparast, Lecturer, Civil Engineering  

Jennifer Newton, Senior Lecturer, Mathematical and Statistical Sciences

John Minor, Principal Lecturer, General Engineering 

Kim Pickett, Assistant Professor, Nursing  

Phillip Grant, Jr., Assistant Professor, Education

Upcoming Events

Planning an Online Course 

Wednesday, November 15th, 1:30-2:30 PM

Whether taking a face-to-face course online or building a new one from scratch, designing an online course takes time and planning. Join this presentation to learn about which course elements to start with and how to build an effective plan for developing an online course. 

Facilitated by Leslie Fuller, Ph.D., Digital Learning Strategist.

Modality: Virtual and synchronous—an Outlook Calendar invite, with the Zoom link, will be sent.
Registration: Planning an Online Course on November 15th .

Quick Hits- Finalizing Your Canvas Gradebook

Thursday, November 30th, 3:30-4:00 PM

Join us to learn about finalizing your Gradebook in Canvas. Our Learning Tech Specialist will answer all your grading questions, including extra credit, grade weights, and more. When registering, choose whether to have a specific topic covered, enter your question, or both.

Facilitated by Sr. Learning Tech Specialist, Gray Jackson.

Registration: Quick Hits: Finalizing Your Canvas Gradebook on November 30th .

Clemson Online Fall 2023 Events Calendar

calendar for Fall with woman fashion fall accessories.

Review our Fall 2023 Events Calendar to see what Online Instruction Development opportunities await!

We have a robust Summer lineup of topics and live training formats to support your use of Canvas and other e-learning tools. Topics cover demonstrations of using Kaltura, presentations on inclusive practices for online education, and workshops to get your Canvas site ready to teach!

All of our live training is recorded. Registrants will automatically receive a link to that day’s video after it has been processed.

Contact James Butler with any questions regarding these sessions. 

Clemson Online – Where Tech and Teaching Meet

Blog Home

Orange Clemson Online logo with the word blog in purple below it

Visit our website or use the direct links below for more:

Self-enroll in our Faculty Resource Center for up to the semester information about online teaching at Clemson:

Click on the icons below to check out our social media channels: