QM Cohort Completion Celebration

May 6, 2024

We are proud to announce the conclusion of our second Quality Matters Cohort at Clemson University! Six faculty members submitted an online course for a full QM review, completed a rigorous training course in Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR), and revised course materials for accessibility. This year we expanded the Cohort to span the full academic year.

Cohort participants also had the opportunity to become a Peer Reviewer for Quality Matters, allowing them to review courses internally with Clemson Online and externally with other QM institutions.

The following instructors successfully completed the QM Cohort for 2023-2024 with courses that met all standards for an internal review:

• Farhang Forghanparast – CE 4470
  • Phillip Grant – EDIS 9300
  • Chelsea McKelvey – ENGL 1030
  • John Minor – ENGR 2080
  • Jennifer Newton – MATH 2070
  • Kim Pickett – NURS 3190

Here is what some of them had to say about the experience: 

“Feedback played a critical role throughout the cohort experience. The process of receiving and implementing feedback was both challenging and rewarding. Initially, it was daunting to expose my course to peer review. However, the constructive critiques I received were invaluable. They were both corrective and exploratory, prompting me to think deeply about the ‘why’ and ‘how’ of my teaching methods. This iterative revision process was not about striving for perfection. Instead, QM focuses on continuous improvement. Each feedback and revision cycle brought my course closer to the Quality Matters standards, enhancing its clarity, engagement, and pedagogical alignment.” 
Phillip Grant

“This cohort process will impact my future teaching by allowing me to better design my courses (both online and in person) from conception. I will now consider accessibility, particularly with page design (use of headings, alt-text, and captions for videos) as I create my course. This also means that, hopefully, I can have more courses I teach online QM certified moving forward. The QM certification process is one of those important things in academia that is not just checking a box but that truly impacts the course and the ease of access for learners. I am truly grateful for the process and the cohort’s collaborative experience.”
Chelsea McKelvey

“My course is an engineering graphics course which is taught as an asynchronous online course during the summer term but is also taught synchronously in-person during the school year […] Since both my online and in-person courses use the same materials, the improvements to my online class will make the course site easier to navigate and understand for my in-person students. In my way of thinking course design is universal and a good course design for asynchronous online classes is alsogood design for in-person courses. A course that is easy for the students to follow and doesn’t require a steep learning curve to navigate will make the information in the course more accessible to all students.”
John Minor

“It was a very educational and positive experience to go through this review process. Thank you for all the positivity, professionalism, and efficiency you brought to every step of this way. I also have a special thank you to your team of interns who helped tremendously with the accessibility items. It was a pleasure working with y’all.”
Farhang Forghanparast

Please join Clemson Online in congratulating these dedicated instructors!

Are you interested in applying for next year’s Cohort? Be on the lookout for instructions and application this August! If you have any questions, please reach out to our QM Coordinator. 

Improving Your Online Course

If you’re interested in getting to know more about Quality Matters, consider joining this workshop in which you will learn about the rubric by reviewing your own online or hybrid course according to the Essential Standards. 

To participate in this workshop, you need to have an online/hybrid course that you have already taught at least once.

IYOC is maintained by Quality Matters and facilitated by Clemson Online staff. It is a two-week asynchronous course that helps you to examine your course from the learner’s perspective in regards to overview, alignment, interaction, and accessibility. We estimate the activities in the course should take you 8-10 hours to complete.

The next IYOC starts May 30, so be sure to sign up soon!

Upcoming Events

Kaltura Trainings May 10

Kaltura Basics I: 10:00-10:30 AM

Join this training to learn more about Kaltura, Clemson’s video storage solution. This training will cover accessing Kaltura, uploading videos into Kaltura, and embedding Kaltura videos into your Canvas courses. When registering, feel free to include any Kaltura-related questions you have.

Facilitated by Gray Jackson, Sr. Learning Tech Specialist.

Registration: Kaltura Basics I.

Kaltura Basics II: 11:00-11:30 AM

This training will cover using Kaltura Capture and basic editing for videos in Kaltura, including adding chapters, hotspots, and captions. When registering, feel free to include any Kaltura-related questions you have.

Registration: Kaltura Basics II. 

Kaltura Advanced I: 1:00-1:30 PM

Join this training to learn more about how to create a video quiz in Kaltura, how to add a video quiz as a Canvas assignment and view quiz results. This training will also cover how to instruct students on using Kaltura to submit their own video assignments. When registering, feel free to include any Kaltura-related questions you have.

Facilitated by James Butler, Digital Learning Strategist. 

Registration: Kaltura Advanced I.

Kaltura Drop-In: 2:00-3:00 PM

Drop in for one-on-one support with Kaltura. Whether you have a quick question or want a member of our team to help you edit, embed, or record with Kaltura, we are here to help!

With Gray Jackson (Sr. Learning Tech Specialist), James Butler and Millie Tullis (Digital Learning Strategists)

Ensure you are logged into Zoom with your Clemson ID to access this meeting. 

Zoom link for Drop-In

Clemson Online Spring 2024 Events Calendar

Review our Spring 2024 Events Calendar to see what Online Instruction Development opportunities await!

We have a robust lineup of topics and live training formats to support your use of Canvas and other e-learning tools. Topics cover demonstrations of using Kaltura, presentations on group assignments in online courses, and workshops to get your Canvas site ready to teach!

All of our live training is recorded. Registrants will automatically receive a link to that day’s video after it has been processed.

Contact Millie Tullis with any questions regarding these sessions.

Clemson Online – Where Tech and Teaching Meet

Blog Home

Orange Clemson Online logo with the word blog in purple below it

Visit our website or use the direct links below for more:

Self-enroll in our Faculty Resource Center for up to the semester information about online teaching at Clemson:

Click on the icons below to check out our social media channels: